Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Engine Speed Input Circuit (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/engine-speed-input-circuit-13175/)

Becker 10-12-2007 01:05 PM

Engine Speed Input Circuit

My 96 Accord Ex V6 hesitates or surges while driving (after its warmed up). During this time, the tachometer jumps all around. A few weeks ago my check engine light went on. The trouble code is P0725 - Engine Speed Input Circuit. The last honda mechanic I took it to simply "cleaned" off the dirty circuit (no discussion of repair/replacement), but the problems still remain and the light returned. They told me if the problem persists, that it "may" mean I need a new transmission. Yikes!I never got a straight answer or solution from them. Before I take it in again to someone more helpful, can someone tell me whether the issues may be related to the trouble code and whatthe actual issue may be? Thanks!

00AccordLX5spd 10-12-2007 01:27 PM

RE: Engine Speed Input Circuit

Replace the ignition coil. There is something wrong with it internally. It is a common problem on the 95-97 V6 models. P0725 has nothing at all to do with the transmission. It is a coil fault.
Please look at this thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_56200/tm.htm
You should be able to do it yourself relatively easily with a 10mm wrench. If you need more detailed instructons PM me and I will help you.
It only cost me about $75 to fix. Even if you have a mechanic do it, he should not charge you more than 1 hour or so for labor as it is super easy and only held in by 3 bolts with 2 wiresconnecting to it.

Chiovnidca 10-12-2007 05:13 PM

x2 put a coil on it

Becker 10-16-2007 10:25 AM

Thanks for your help! I took it to my mechanic and told him I thought it was the ignition coil. He argued a little, assuring me it was my transmissioncoming apart and that I would have to do some "soul searching" as to what I would do with it from there. This is the what the previous mechanic that told me as well. I'm surehis stubborness had to do with the fact that I'm a young woman. Anyway, I left it there asking him to simply look at it and erase the code so I could pass emmissions. He called shortly after telling my he called his National Honda Database and they told him it was indeedthe ignition coil and not to touch the transmission. He said he had never seen an ignition coil throw such a code or create the hesitation. But he replaced it and its working fine. Thanks again for your help...it saved me from having to replace my transand from a lot of frustration with unanswered questions!

falkore24 10-16-2007 10:32 AM

Go back and tell him that with all of his experiance he was just[sm=owned.gif]by a young woman with no experiance at all! Maybe he should get off his high horse and start reading deserthonda's posts!

If his intent was to charge you thousands for a tranny, I'd report him to Honda.

BTW ---- DH is in AZ as well. I don't know if you are close to him, but I'm sure that he'd love to work with a HAF member! Also, he knows more about these cars then the designers!

00AccordLX5spd 10-16-2007 10:33 AM

Glad we could help! I am glad you got on here. If you had a new transmission put in there you would have wasted several thousand dollars and your problem would not even have gone away! I only wish you had lived nearby or I would have done the labor for you for free on a weekend;).

Brandon Robertson 02-26-2019 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Becker (Post 78024)
My 96 Accord Ex V6 hesitates or surges while driving (after its warmed up). During this time, the tachometer jumps all around. A few weeks ago my check engine light went on. The trouble code is P0725 - Engine Speed Input Circuit. The last honda mechanic I took it to simply "cleaned" off the dirty circuit (no discussion of repair/replacement), but the problems still remain and the light returned. They told me if the problem persists, that it "may" mean I need a new transmission. Yikes!I never got a straight answer or solution from them. Before I take it in again to someone more helpful, can someone tell me whether the issues may be related to the trouble code and whatthe actual issue may be? Thanks!

did your rpms on your cluster gauge not work either?