General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some advice! driving car 1000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default need some advice! driving car 1000 miles

I own a 1995 2 door honda accord LX 156,000 miles and i was wondering what are some things i should do to the car before i start my road trip? i bought new tires 2 weeks ago, changed the oil, new ac belt, new top radiator hose, new spark plugs, and pour in a can of injector cleaner. what else should i do? any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

You did a lot of stuff. Did they inspect the suspension when you got the tires?

I would stop by a parts store where they can test the battery, alternator, and starter.

Start the car and turn on the a/c. See if both radiator fans turn on.

Is this a V6 or 4-cylinder. Does the check engine light turn on while driving?

If V6, you can have the parts stores scan for codes on the OBD2 connector behind the ash tray.

If 4-cylinder, there is a procedure in the DIY section on how to get CEL codes.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You did a lot of stuff. Did they inspect the suspension when you got the tires?

I would stop by a parts store where they can test the battery, alternator, and starter.

Start the car and turn on the a/c. See if both radiator fans turn on.

Is this a V6 or 4-cylinder. Does the check engine light turn on while driving?

If V6, you can have the parts stores scan for codes on the OBD2 connector behind the ash tray.

If 4-cylinder, there is a procedure in the DIY section on how to get CEL codes.
thanks for the reply!

good call on getting the battery alt, and starter checked. ill go to autozone and get that checked today. its a 4 cylinder 2.2l. the check engine light hasnt turned on since ive owned it. it does light up when i turn the key to the on position. I also changed the brakes last month. im sure ill need some new struts but im leaving in a 10 days so i dont have time.

both fans turn on. i changed my compressor in the summer and i had a problem with the ac fan not turning on and the compressors clutch. turns out it was the relay.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

went to autozone and the alternator was good and passed all three test. the battery on the other hand was bad and needs to be changed. the car starts right up so im going to try to make it without changing it.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

If all regular maintenance has been regularly done, including timing belt changed, and the balancer shaft oil seal has the retainer installed (years ago Honda sent out letters to have this installed), for the most part it is good to go.

156k miles is nothing for a 5th gen Accord. When I had my 1995 Accord, I drove that to about 300k before I gave it to my nephew. He is still driving it. I took many long trips with it.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
If all regular maintenance has been regularly done, including timing belt changed, and the balancer shaft oil seal has the retainer installed (years ago Honda sent out letters to have this installed), for the most part it is good to go.

156k miles is nothing for a 5th gen Accord. When I had my 1995 Accord, I drove that to about 300k before I gave it to my nephew. He is still driving it. I took many long trips with it.
The timing belt has been the one thing ive held off since i bought the car. i bought the car at 140k miles from a wholesaler and he didn't know any history. the reason i waited this long is because i know a few mechanics where im moving.

also another question, do these cars have 4 speed transmissions? i drive in 4th gear at 2500 rpms and the engine sounds like it wants to shift. seems like the engine is reving high at 65 mph. is it safe to drive long distances at 2500 rpms? sorry for the dumb question

Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by antec121
also another question, do these cars have 4 speed transmissions? i drive in 4th gear at 2500 rpms and the engine sounds like it wants to shift. seems like the engine is reving high at 65 mph. is it safe to drive long distances at 2500 rpms? sorry for the dumb question
The 1995 Accord comes with either a 5-speed manual or or a 4 forward speed automatic.

For the automatic, just leave it at D4 for almost every driving situation. The rpm depends on the speed and gear it is in. 2500 rpm is nothing to worry about.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

2,500 rpm at 65mph in an auto is about right, almost exactly what I get on the 95 ex. If unsure of the history and want some peace of mind, might think about a drain and fill-assuming it is an auto-on the trans.

PS- my daily driver is the 95 EX, it has just over 360K.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:12 PM

I agree 2500 at 65 sounds right. Mine is a 5spd manual, but I normally run about 2900 or so doing 70

Old 12-22-2010, 06:08 AM
Almost A Senior Member

You sound like you maintain your car well, 1,000 miles is nothing now-a-days....

Quick Reply: need some advice! driving car 1000 miles