General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Errors ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Default Errors ?

My 2015 Sport has been running fine, no issues... tonight, I get an error message saying, "Check Fuel Cap". I stopped the car, shut off the ignition and checked the fuel cap, it seems to be fitted properly, removed it, replaced in position with 3 clicks. Started the car and still had the error message, 'Check Fuel Cap'.
Shut off the ignition, removed the cap, cleaned it and fuel intake with a dry (clean) towel, replaced, turned it 1 click... started the car and still had the same error message.
Because the engine was running normally, I drove home, in route I noticed that the mpg indicator was reading 60 mpg... then down to 8 mpg.. back up to 60 mpg...
Checked the mpg estimator in the info center and it is reading 4.8 mpg for present trip, even though the vehicle seemed to be operating normally.
At the time, it was late in the evening and the Service Dept. at my dealership was closed... will call them first thing in the morning.

There is just over a half of tank of gas in the vehicle and I always buy my gas at the same station, have been doing so from day one with no problems. Normally I keep the tank full, was waiting until tomorrow to fill again.

Added note: It has been raining here for the past four days.. however the cap was dry when checked

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments are welcomed. Thanks

Last edited by Prospector; 12-28-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Check the owner's manual, but I think you need three clicks when tightening the gas cap.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Check the owner's manual, but I think you need three clicks when tightening the gas cap.
Yes, I've heard that said before... three clicks, however, the owner's manual says, 'one click'. I tried both, no change

Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I'm guessing the car is still under warranty.

The next thing I would do is to have the codes scanned to see if a code for a specific evap leak is stored.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I'm guessing the car is still under warranty.

The next thing I would do is to have the codes scanned to see if a code for a specific evap leak is stored.
Thanks, PAhonda

I've an appointment with the dealership on Jan. 4th. The car is running fine, it's just that the on-screen alert is annoying... and, of course, I want the issue corrected

Old 12-30-2015, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

The EVAP system is kind of complicated to troubleshoot. If you have a code for a large EVAP leak, a smoke test of the gas tank would be the next step. Most DIYers, including me, don't have a smoke machine. The dealership would have the proper equipment to do the smoke test.

Most DIY smoke machines use air to carry the smoke. Pumping air into a gas tank is a bad idea, because you could introduce enough oxygen into the system to cause the gas vapor to ignite. Nitrogen or possible carbon dioxide are inert and better options for smoke testing the fuel system.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:16 PM

Thank you, PA

Old 12-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I would still take it in. You might find that the "message" will go away. Many of these require a few drive cycles to verify things before they go away. If you have a chance in the next few days to give it a good cycle through different driving conditions let us know what happens before the trip to the dealer and after the trip to the dealer.

With the 16 Pilot there is a "cap less" gas cap. Not sure if you've seen them but they are the ones that have a "flap" in the center where you just insert the gas filler.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Yes I would still take it in. You might find that the "message" will go away.

With the 16 Pilot there is a "cap less" gas cap. Not sure if you've seen them but they are the ones that have a "flap" in the center where you just insert the gas filler.
Thanks, Poorman

Had the car out for a drive today and the message has disappeared, I'm still taking it into the dealership on Monday... due for an oil change anyway, even though it is only showing 70%, it has been almost a year since the car was purchased... 3,500 miles.

Yes, I have seen the cap-less fuel intakes. We have a new (2015) Ford passenger van at the facility where I work and it has the 'flap'.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Nice to see the message has gone away....still would like to know what the dealer says.

Dang, almost a year and only 3,500 miles. The Pilot is pushing almost 10,000 miles in just over six months.

Quick Reply: Errors ?