Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Is ethanol fuel possible and how? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/ethanol-fuel-possible-how-61589/)

crazywussian 05-10-2015 01:56 AM

Is ethanol fuel possible and how?

Honda Accord 02 4 door ex 4
I was wondering how i could use e85 and other enthanol blends in my accrod. I have heard and read about using e85 directly without any modifications to the car, and also by using a kit to add to the car. Now, as far as i can tell, the kit is just a chip in a box that hooks to the car computer and reprograms the system to no fight ethanol fuel. That got me thinking that if some chip can do it, why cant i just do it myself in the computer and be done. My question is if anyone has had any experiance in this venture and their results as well as what and how to go about it. Thanks for all your help, and sorry for the wall of text.
Mik

shipo 05-10-2015 06:18 AM

Do not do it. Why? While you may be able to reprogram the computer to increase the flow rates of the injectors to keep up with the additional demand when running E85, your fuel system is not designed to withstand the caustic effects of all of that alcohol.

WheelBrokerAng 05-11-2015 12:49 AM

Good information Shipo.. :)

Prospector 05-11-2015 11:10 AM

I agree with Shipo

PAhonda 05-12-2015 12:07 AM

I think you would have to do your homework to retrofit your accord to run E85. It wouldn't be simply swapping out the PCM.

As with any significant modification, you are asking for more trouble than it is worth. If you want a vehicle capable of running E85, then you should consider buying one already designed for E85.

Prospector 05-12-2015 05:20 PM

I'm curious as to why you'd want to use or convert to ethanol (?)

Corvair 05-12-2015 08:36 PM

Things such as simple as an O ring in a fuel line might not be comparable. I do know a guy who converted he 60's Corvair to E85. He had to do lots of trial and error with jets on the carbs. Really don't have that option on the Accord. Less power too.

How do I say this politely? Why?

Someday I'm going to put in a tank of E zero in the Accord and see how it runs. Cost about 40 cents more than regular and has an octane rating of 92. I do use it in the Corvair.

Prospector 05-12-2015 09:25 PM

Honda Owner's manual,
• Do NOT use gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol.

E85 is an abbreviation for an ethanol fuel blend of 85% denatured ethanol fuel and 15% gasoline or other hydrocarbon by volume, although the exact ratio of fuel ethanol to hydrocarbon can vary considerably while still carrying the E85 label. The ethanol content is adjusted according to the local climate to maximize engine performance. ASTM 5798 specifies the allowable fuel ethanol content in E85 as ranging from 51% to 83%.[1] E85 is commonly used by flexible-fuel vehicles (FFV) in the United States and Europe.

Would I use it in my Honda?.... NO

JimBlake 05-13-2015 08:49 AM

Why? Because if there's a few million cars on the road designed to use E-85, that's less petroleum we have to use. And it increases the demand for corn, so the price of corn will probably go up (good for farmers, less good for people who like to eat corn).

That's all noble & stuff, but I wouldn't bother to convert an existing car to use E-85.

I don't know where the original poster is located, but maybe the economics work out for his advantage??