Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   exhaust rattle (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/exhaust-rattle-52144/)

jroxz44 01-01-2013 04:12 PM

exhaust rattle

Well I've been having alot of problems with my exhaust rattling about right in they middle at exactly 2000 rpm. I checked all the heat shield and put screws in it. I bought the buzz kit that honda sells for the service bullitin honda put out and put all the new springs and gaskets in it. And it quit rattleing for acouple days and I was soooo happy. Now its slowly starting to coming back and slowly starting to get louder and louder again. I need some help. It sounds like the exhaust is rattling off the heat shield somewhere but I checked all the exhaust from front to back and I can't figure it out

UhOh 01-01-2013 04:19 PM

If I can't figure things out (or don't want to work under car in cold weather),
I find if I go to independent shops (muffler shop in this case) early Monday mornings
all the mechanics are standing around and I can get good amount of work done for cheap.

jroxz44 01-01-2013 08:17 PM

I have a lift in my heated garage so I don't mind doing the work. I just can't figure out the problem. I can't replicate the noise in park or neutral. Only while driving. Anyone had this type of problem

JimBlake 01-02-2013 12:11 PM

What does that "buzz kit" consist of? Problem might be the A-pipe itself.

The "A-pipe" is the pipe that goes under the oil pan; it's the 2-into-1 pipe. I think(?) it's actually a pipe-inside-pipe construction. The inner pipe is attached forward, and if the pipe flexes one way or another it buzzes against the outer pipe. No leaks, holes, or any evidence that's visible from the outside.

jroxz44 01-02-2013 08:20 PM

The buzz kit consists of 4 new springs / bolts and 2 new gaskets for on both sides of the mid pipe. which everything pointed to that was the problem that Honda put the service bulliten out for. I have a metal on metal vibration noise at exactly 2000 rpm sounds like its hitting a heat shield but I checked all of that and rechecked. I adjusted the A pipe mount on the back of the block also. I pulled it away from the oil pan and retightened it. And after putting all the new parts in the sound went away for acouple days and now its slowly starting to come back and get louder and louder again.

JimBlake 01-03-2013 07:53 AM

If you open up the back end of the A-pipe, I don't know if you can see the end of the inner pipes. If so, maybe you can judge whether you need to move that mount some different way. Even so, the inner pipe might bend one way or another as it heats up.

I had this on a 95 Integra, and it was just really frustrating. Eventually I used it as an excuse to buy a header... ;)

wunderbra 01-03-2013 04:26 PM

I am having a similar buzz on my 97 accord after getting it back from the shop for a timing belt job. I wonder if they tried supporting the engine from under the pipe when they removed the left side motor mount.

Originally Posted by jroxz44 (Post 306882)
The buzz kit consists of 4 new springs / bolts and 2 new gaskets for on both sides of the mid pipe.

Where can I see that service bulletin?

JimBlake 01-03-2013 04:48 PM

Look for a dent in the A-pipe?

jroxz44 01-04-2013 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 306961)
Look for a dent in the A-pipe?

My a pipe has marks on the bottom . Looks like it bottomed out before right under the oil pan. Does it have a inner pipe in that section? . And im honestly thinking the same thing Maby an excuse for headers haha. But for now I wanna get it fixed. Very frusterating. I know its not vibrating off the oil pan cause there's a solid mount on the back of the block even thou its close. But when I adjusted that mount I think your right. It might of bent the inner pipe away alittle. I noticed the mount slowly moving back to where it was before. The louder thr noise gets. I can't get the bolts tight enough to hold it. Could I pull that mount apart and weld a new one to keep it bent in that position? Temporary till I can buy a new down pipe I guess. It has to be the inner pipes. Does it worse when cold.

JimBlake 01-04-2013 08:29 PM

If it has an inner pipe at all (I think it does) then yes it's up there too.

That pipe (on my Integra) was expensive, so for about the same money I got DC headers which included that A-pipe. I know there's better pipes than DC, but just saying what I did back then.