General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Accord brakes, rotors & calipers need replaced...reasonable cost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Default 1999 Accord brakes, rotors & calipers need replaced...reasonable cost?

I bought the car about 2 months ago (from a small dealer), had new tires put on it, still feel a vibration between 40-60 mph.

Just took my 1999 Honda Accord EX (190K) to a garage today, supposed to have an excellent reputation.

The tech told me the right rear wheel is definitely sticking, needs a new caliper, so need to do both.

All together I got an estimate for $725 for the rear brake pads, rotors, and calipers.
$440 for the front brake pads and rotors (down to 10%).

He said the cost may be less, depending on the rotors, that this is worst case scenario.

Then also a brake fluid flush and fill for $110, so I'm looking at $1,275 if everything needs done, hopefully less.

Since I'm not really mechanically inclined and hardly ever had to go to a garage before, I thought I would join a forum to get some feedback, since many of you seem to be very knowledgable here.

I have had not very good experiences with mainstream break shops in the past but considered getting at least a couple other estimates.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mcm99
I bought the car about 2 months ago (from a small dealer), had new tires put on it, still feel a vibration between 40-60 mph.

Just took my 1999 Honda Accord EX (190K) to a garage today, supposed to have an excellent reputation.

The tech told me the right rear wheel is definitely sticking, needs a new caliper, so need to do both.

All together I got an estimate for $725 for the rear brake pads, rotors, and calipers.
$440 for the front brake pads and rotors (down to 10%).

He said the cost may be less, depending on the rotors, that this is worst case scenario.

Then also a brake fluid flush and fill for $110, so I'm looking at $1,275 if everything needs done, hopefully less.

Since I'm not really mechanically inclined and hardly ever had to go to a garage before, I thought I would join a forum to get some feedback, since many of you seem to be very knowledgable here.

I have had not very good experiences with mainstream break shops in the past but considered getting at least a couple other estimates.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
A few comments:
  • The price is a bit high but not extremely so; if it is a good shop that stands behind their work then you're probably good to go.
  • You may also want to consider getting a second opinion on the price.
  • Regarding the fluid flush and fill; if you have the service records for the car and you can see that this service was performed in the last two to three years then you may want to hold this off for a year or so, however, if it is the factory fluid in your car, then it is definitely time to have the system flushed.
  • The other option would be a DIY job; brakes are relatively easy to do and you can buy all of the manuals, part, tools, and fluids for probably less than half of what you're being quoted. If you have a place to do the work and need to keep your costs down, this may be a good option for you.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes the caliper sticking can just be resolved with a new caliper slide pin (few bucks) and grease.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Just a off the top of the head estimate if say its probably $300 or so in parts. Maybe a little more. So almost all the cost is labor. Just something to keep in mind if your thinking of doing it yourself.

I mean it will take some time. And I agree with others the price is about right, maybe a little high for the job.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Thank you all very much for your feedback!! I will most likely take it to the garage since I have no way to do it myself (no room, no skills, etc.). I don't mind paying a little more knowing it's done right. It's not a big shop, but the guy has been there for 30 years, ASE Master Tech, and makes me feel a heck of a lot better than some of the other places I've checked today. Thanks again!

Last edited by mcm99; 02-06-2013 at 05:44 PM.