General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Ex Power steering

Old 10-24-2007, 01:33 AM
mrce11o
Unregistered
Default 93 Ex Power steering

Hey fellow Honda owners,

So. . . I went to meeting tonight, car was running fine when I parked the car. Got out, the car would be able to turn to the right normally, but not to the left (appears to have no powersteering to the left, but ok for the right). No fluids are leaking, and no vibrations or excessive noises are coming from under the hood.

What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Default RE: 93 Ex Power steering

I think one of your AA meeting folks is playing with you and drank your left headlight fluid, I'm just funnin with ya.

I would tend to blame the power steering rack for this issue, please check your tire pressures too. The pump, pressure line and return lines all contribute to both left and right hand turns, only the inside of the rack seperates pressure for left and right turns based on steering wheel input within the rack.

I guess it wouldnt hurt to check belt tension, weak or broken motor mounts and other steering / suspension components like tie rod ends, ball joints, rack mounts, inner tie rod, strut bearing on the front end struts but I am thinking rack.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:28 PM
mrce11o
Unregistered

Alright,

So I spent the weekend wrenching on my car, and 12 hours later I managed to replace the Rack and Pinion. That was the fix to my lack of power steering to the left. The pump, hoses, and all suspension components are fine.

I placed everything back to specs, and the only problem now is some play in the steering. How do i fix this? It has play for about one inch of a turn to both sides untill the wheels are actually turning.

If it has to do with adjustment of the steering rack, link below... can someone explain how I go about it?
http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/j...3d800d1a93.jpg

If not, please help!! I was able to save myself $350 on rack and pinion labor, if I can save another $100 lets do it!

Thanks again.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:51 PM
btnhtillidie
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: mrce11o

Alright,

So I spent the weekend wrenching on my car, and 12 hours later I managed to replace the Rack and Pinion. That was the fix to my lack of power steering to the left. The pump, hoses, and all suspension components are fine.

I placed everything back to specs, and the only problem now is some play in the steering. How do i fix this? It has play for about one inch of a turn to both sides untill the wheels are actually turning.

If it has to do with adjustment of the steering rack, link below... can someone explain how I go about it?
http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/j...3d800d1a93.jpg

If not, please help!! I was able to save myself $350 on rack and pinion labor, if I can save another $100 lets do it!

Thanks again.
IM curious how do you replace the rack and pinion? My86 acccord Rack and pinion is shot. I started to tear it down, got the tie rods off, steering linkage but the damn thing wont come out with out disconnecting major suspenisionstuff. The manual i have is for a NON power rack and pinion

I'mcurios to seehow much different it is to get a Power rack and pinion outthan a non power one out.