General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 Accord SRS Unit - "internal unit failure"

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Default 2008 Accord SRS Unit - "internal unit failure"

Hello All,

I am a newbie here and car challenged.

My Car is 2008 Honda Accord LX Premium with very low miles < 25000 miles.

Please help guide me with a problem with SRS Unit . The SRS red light is on i beleive this occurred 5 months back when i was putting the driver seat belt - i took to dealer and he charged me 100 $ to do a diagnosis. On diagnosis they told need to replace & recheck due to "internal unit failure". They quoted me 336.89 for part & 189 for labor and said would need to recheck other repairs needed for fixing the SRS unit after that. The Point is even after replacing they will not know if it will the replacement will work or not and my concern is they could easily keep saying this and that will need to be replaced and so on and repairs can run into many 1000s of dollars.

I opened a case with Honda America for help and they asked to do a check with the dealer. Dealer has told again "internal unit failure" due to electrical shot and Honda America will not assist. I checked online many folks have this problem for even later and earlier cars.

The dealer explains the Safety System will not go on if the SRS light is on - which is a big concern for me.

Please advise me on what is the best I can do to have the car fixed for this SRS Unit.

I am not at all happy with the Honda or Dealer support.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:46 PM

Hello All,

Sorry for sounding real dumb with my original post. I will get the SRS Failure code from dealer and post. I hope experts can guide me on fixing my issue in the most reasonable manner. I was hoping anyone had a similar issue and got Honda America involved so i could get their suggestions.

Best regards

Old 03-24-2015, 05:54 AM

Often times with SRS component replacements the car need to be hooked to the Honda HDS in order to recognize the part before the SRS will rearm itself. It may be as simple as that if it was only the seatbelt that was causing the code. There are some repair shops that have the technology to do this, but the HDS software and yearly updates are expensive, so few shops pay for it, thus for most people it is a trip to the dealer. I hope I read your post correctly, you replaced the belt assembly but have not had it on an HDS since.