Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   front end clicking when accelerating (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/front-end-clicking-when-accelerating-47176/)

haccord2.4 04-29-2012 08:09 AM

front end clicking when accelerating

2004 Honda Accord EX 2.4 AT

My car has recently started making a clicking sound when I put it in gear and hit the gas. I will try to explain it as best I can.

I put the car in gear, it shifts fine all the time but when I first hit the gas after putting it in drive or reverse, it will make a hollow metal click. Sometimes 2 or 3 clicks depending on how hard I hit the gas. If I sit with my foot on the brake and shift between reverse and drive, after the transmission shifts holding the brake and hit the gas a little bit it makes the sound.

While driving, it does not do it when shifting between drive gears. Only when I slow down quickly for the engine to to be slowed down faster than just decelerating slowly will the car make the sound again.

The car does make the sound in reverse.

Any clarification request please let me know!

haccord2.4 04-29-2012 08:39 AM

Might I also add that I took it to my honda dealer and they say it is my suspension flexing... it is coming from both sides.

TexasHonda 05-14-2012 12:23 PM

Suspension noise should be reproducible when going over a speed bump or turn over a bump.

From your description, I would suspect either worn CV axle or less likely, a damaged motor mount.

CV axles are difficult to diagnose. I would wait for symptoms to worsen (axle clicking on turns).

A damaged rear motor mount can be observed by parking the car, placing emergency brake, and holding foot brake (helper). Leaning over the pax side you can see the rear motor mount w/ a good light and observe as trans is placed in D and R. I found the rear mount lifted and I could damage in reverse.

Front motor mount can be directly viewed for damage which is easy to detect.

Side mounts are easy to inspect also, but rarely fail as they primarily support motor weight.

good luck

aztonsupra 07-15-2014 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by haccord2.4 (Post 279188)
2004 Honda Accord EX 2.4 AT

My car has recently started making a clicking sound when I put it in gear and hit the gas. I will try to explain it as best I can.

I put the car in gear, it shifts fine all the time but when I first hit the gas after putting it in drive or reverse, it will make a hollow metal click. Sometimes 2 or 3 clicks depending on how hard I hit the gas. If I sit with my foot on the brake and shift between reverse and drive, after the transmission shifts holding the brake and hit the gas a little bit it makes the sound.

While driving, it does not do it when shifting between drive gears. Only when I slow down quickly for the engine to to be slowed down faster than just decelerating slowly will the car make the sound again.

The car does make the sound in reverse.

Any clarification request please let me know!

Exactly the same problem here!!!

JimBlake 07-15-2014 01:30 PM

2 years ago & he never posted back with the final resolution. So I think you'll have to work through the process Tex explained.

haccord2.4 07-23-2014 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by aztonsupra (Post 348230)
Exactly the same problem here!!!

i am very sorry the issue was never resolved. it still does it to this day. its not motormounts it seems to be a structural issue.. control arms. something like that. i sold it to my girlfriends mom and have moved to a 2006 Mercedes E500

she has even mentioned it!