General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel neck replacement on 1990

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Default Fuel neck replacement on 1990

Hi all
I have a 90, 131k on it. The fuel neck is totally rusted, all the way from the opening to the joint into the tank. I just noticed its dripping a bit of fuel onto the ground when I put gas into it. Rock auto has the replacement (the whole neck and I guess the release or exhaust line for the tank) for 40 bucks. Has anyone done this before? From what I've seen you can just pull the neck off and put the new one on. Is that the case? Or do I need to drain the tank and take other precautions?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

As long as the level is lower than the install then you are good

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 02-02-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
As long as the level is lower than the install then you are good
Yup, when I dropped the tank on my 97 Accord the fuel level was around a quarter tank (was replacing the fuel pump). Just so you know, it had a drain bolt in it, if you needed to fully drain the tank. Honda discontinued it for the 98 models, which sucked when I replaced the fuel tank on my 99.
On my 92 Geo Prizm (Corolla clone) I replaced the filler neck at about the same level (1/4 tank).

Old 02-04-2019, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the advice. Would you drive or don't drive while waiting for the part to arrive?

(And everything I see online seems to indicate you can replace the neck without dropping the tank. Does that line up with your alls experience?)

Old 02-04-2019, 07:48 AM

You've been driving it thus far so if you need to then it shouldn't be a problem. You are correct you do not need to drop the tank unless you want to clean it.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by hlockquiok
Thanks for the advice. Would you drive or don't drive while waiting for the part to arrive?

(And everything I see online seems to indicate you can replace the neck without dropping the tank. Does that line up with your alls experience?)
If you've been driving it, it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't fill it so full that it leaks though. Yes, you can change it without dropping the tank, as it gets installed after the tank anyway.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:57 PM

finally got around to this today and the clamps holding the hoses (running out of the fuel tank) onto the fuel neck are so rusted i wasn't able to get them off and i'm wondering if i'm going to be able to get the hoses off the neck. any one have any suggestions for how to remove the clips and then get the hose off the neck without sparking anything? i'm trying to avoid a situation where i get the whole neck off only to f** up the hoses some how and end up with a bigger problem.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:12 PM

I would cut the clamps off with some plier cutters or if you have a small Dremel and use a pick or flat head screwdriver to separate the hose from the pipe. Buy new clamps and put them on during install.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 02-28-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
I would cut the clamps off with some plier cutters to cut the clamps or if you have a small Dremel and use a pick of flat head screwdriver to separate it from the pipe. Buy new clamps and put them on during install.
And to add, use a screw driver to separate the rubber hose from the steel tubing. If you have room, you could try using a large pair of channel locks to break the hose loose from the tubing.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:32 PM

What I wrote made no sense. Made an edit. Typing on the phone sucks. Lol

Quick Reply: Fuel neck replacement on 1990