General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Troubleshooting Steering/Ball Arm Joints

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Default Troubleshooting Steering/Ball Arm Joints

So for awhile my mechanic was telling me my outer tie rod needs replaced. I finally took a look at it and I jacked up the driver's side tire and got some play vertically and some horizontally. I raised the passenger side wheel and got some movement side to side but I think it's normal movement.

It's weird because the car drives straight as an arrow and there's no uneven tire wear, tie rods doesn't make sense. I noticed today when I made a right turn I heard a clink or something. Outer tie rods are original and the inner are pretty new. I also had someone turn the wheel while I looked at the outer tie rod and I didn't see it move

I'm thinking it's one of the ball arm joints. How can I know if it's the lower or upper? Also driver's side tie rod boot seems to be leaking, but I don't think it's related. Any suggestions on how else to troubleshoot welcomed.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

If you have "play" in the tie rod - I would go ahead and replace it. Just me but since you are "there" and will need to have the alignment checked after replacement - do BOTH sides.

Do yourself a favor - go to the local parts store and ask them to show you a new outer tie rod - try moving the "stud" on the new one.......I'll bet after trying that you will agree with doing both.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Default Suspension woes

There isn't any play in the outer tie rod. I guess I have to remove the outer tie rod and pull on it to test the inner tie rod. Is there an easier way to test it?

The only thing it does is pivot, which it should do. This time I put the jack under the steering knuckle and when jacked up I could feel some play in the upper ball arm joint I could easily push it down and hear a click. How much play is too much?

I pulled on the axle? that the CV joint is on and I can pull and push that pretty easily. Is that normal, like the pivot on the tie rods?

Included is a picture of the wheel well. Control arm bushings are looking pretty rusty.

http://s29.postimg.org/nlie46jyv/Drivers_Wheel_Well.jpg

Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Where is the movement coming from when you have vertical play? I'm guessing you are pushing/pulling at 12 and 6 o'clock?

When checking at 3/9 o'clock, have someone hold the steering wheel. If the wheel is just locked, you can have some slight play in the horizontal play. If you still have play look for movement in the inner or outer tie-rod.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Play at 3/9 o'clock position can occur due to slack at several locations; outer tie rod ball jt, inner tie rod ball jt, or steering rack/pinion movement. You have to observe tie rod when you force movement by hand to see if there's slack in either tie-rod BJ's.

Slack at 12/6 o'clock position is result of lower or upper ball jt wear usually, but can be due to wheel bearing slack. Again visual observation should be able to sort out sorce of slack.

Slack in rack can be corrected, but I've never done this.

good luck

Old 06-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Don't forget to rule out play in the steering wheel itself.

Take out the key to lock the steering wheel. Have someone reach in thru the window & hold the steering wheel firmly; one way or the other, against the lock. Otherwise you push/pull on the tire and the steering wheel simply turns a bit back & forth.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

From the pic - the metal (upper control arm)has rust but you can't see the bushings so - sorry I can't call that one.

In the pic the inner tie rods look new - nice black paint. Next you have "someone" telling you the outer tie rod needs to be replaced. I asked you to go to a parts store and inspect a new one to get a reference. Over the internet it is hard to explain/understand a "bit of play".

The 3 and 9 shake/push/pull is for the tie rods - a few other things as well but.

The 6 and 12 shake/push/pull is for ball joints.