General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord Owners, Common Refrigerant Leaks ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Thumbs up 92 Accord Owners, Common Refrigerant Leaks ??

Hey guys, Ima getting into my A/C soon To Find specific leaks...I got a very obvious area on the High side. Are there any real common leak points I should look for, Gonna start cleaning all the gunk and grime off tomorrow. The system is dead flat on a charge, Gonna pressure up w/ Dry Nitrogen gas to locate the leaks... Lemme kno if ya kno of any real common ones besides the obvious , like at the gauge hose connectors...ty ...See attached photo Dave...13SM20_B60.jpg

Attached Thumbnails 92 Accord Owners, Common Refrigerant Leaks ??-13sm20_b60.jpg  

Last edited by dunnskii; 01-27-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Belongs in Gen.Tech.

If you want to write up something like a procedure (better yet with pictures) then we can move that into DIY.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 PM

Damn Jim, I keep ya on ur toes...Thats where i was gonna put it, but then put it in DIY, Ill get it straight some time...ty ... Dave

Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Supper Moderator

haha lucky Jim moved it just I get delete happy in my DIY area

As for your prob. Iv never had this happen...plus all my a/c lines has been ripped out. No more a/c for me or p/s

Last edited by g22cd5; 01-28-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 AM

LMAO !!! I need my own thread for questions in wrong places...Dang...lol

Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 PM

common leak points; compressor shaft seal, r12 to r134a adapters high and low side especially if you got the cheap ones(leaks when attaching coupler), schrader valves, condensor due to impact damage, pressure switch, I had a leak where the evaporator clipped to the expansion valve. I changed both since the evap fins were filled with crap and corroded.
happy hunting

Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 PM

When I had my 92 it leaked from the pressure sensor twice, but that was the only A/C problem it ever had.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

At this age the orings attaching expansion valve to evaporator and pressure feedback line to expansion valve are almost certain to leak. I found leaks on a 90 and 94 Accord when removed. Also by this age, there's bound to be a lot of debris in the evaporator case.

Evaporator leaks cause is dissimilar metal corrosion at brass/aluminum connection junctions. A white powder is formed which pushes on the oring, eventually distorting enough for a leak.

Fortunately, removal of the evaporator is very easy on this model Accord.

Also a good time to replace the blower if it's never been replaced. The brushes wear out and fail. W/ evaporator out, it's a little easier. However, it can be replaced w/ evaporator in place.

good luck

Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
At this age the orings attaching expansion valve to evaporator and pressure feedback line to expansion valve are almost certain to leak. I found leaks on a 90 and 94 Accord when removed. Also by this age, there's bound to be a lot of debris in the evaporator case.

Evaporator leaks cause is dissimilar metal corrosion at brass/aluminum connection junctions. A white powder is formed which pushes on the oring, eventually distorting enough for a leak.

Fortunately, removal of the evaporator is very easy on this model Accord.

Also a good time to replace the blower if it's never been replaced. The brushes wear out and fail. W/ evaporator out, it's a little easier. However, it can be replaced w/ evaporator in place.

good luck
Are u talking bout the tubing connectors on the engine side of the fire wall, or are there more in side the fan/Evap housing ?? Im seeing signs of leak over by the Pressure switch and High side line up in the drivers side front corner where the P/S is...KK thanks for the info...Dave

Old 01-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by dunnskii
Are u talking bout the tubing connectors on the engine side of the fire wall, or are there more in side the fan/Evap housing ?? Im seeing signs of leak over by the Pressure switch and High side line up in the drivers side front corner where the P/S is...KK thanks for the info...Dave
The tubing connections in the evaporator housing. Evaporator housing must be removed, split, and opened to access/replace the orings. You can get an accord oring kit from ackits.com, ebay, or match them after removing.

Leaks will be indicated by dirt/oil accumlation around the connections and on the evaporator.

Clean connections w/ plastic brush and light use of fine steel wool to remove corrosion and polish, but not scratch the sealing surfaces.

AC repair can be rewarding, but it must be done right. Read autoacforum.com for tips on ac work.

good luck

Quick Reply: 92 Accord Owners, Common Refrigerant Leaks ??