General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Default Help!

So lately our car has been acting up. When we try to start it, erything else turns on but the engine won't. It won't even crank. And it will start and run for like a day or two, but then the next day it won't. And if we leave it alone for a few days and we try it, itll start up again. A few months ago we had the battery, alternator and starter replaced and ever since then it's been giving us issuses. I've read up online and asked a few friends what it could be and all of them said it could maybe be the anti theft system?

Old 07-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

What are the specifics on your vehicle? Year, sedan/coupe, LX,DX,EX..., V6/4-cyl, automatic/manual trans?

Need a few more details about what is happening when your car doesn't start. Is the starter not doing anything when you turn the key to the start position? Once the engine is running on its own, does it run normally?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What are the specifics on your vehicle? Year, sedan/coupe, LX,DX,EX..., V6/4-cyl, automatic/manual trans?

Need a few more details about what is happening when your car doesn't start. Is the starter not doing anything when you turn the key to the start position? Once the engine is running on its own, does it run normally?
Yea, it's a 2003 Honda Accord, v6 and I think it's an ex. Let's say it'll sartorial one day and run solidly for a day or two, turning on correclty and what not, then all of a sudden it won't turn on. Like the last time we used of for about 2 days with no problems, then used it the next morning again with no problems, and again that afternoon to go to the store and when we came out of the store, that's when it didn't want to turn on. It's been doing that lately, and the engine won't start at all. It won't crank or anything. Everything electrical turns on though. The radio, lights. A freind of mine told me it could maybe be the the anti theft. He went through then same problem with his honda CRV

Old 07-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Unless you have an aftermarket alarm system in the car, it isn't an anti-theft issue according to the wiring diagram.

I'd probably disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables (eyelets and bolts) with a wire brush or sand paper. With the battery disconnected, remove the connections to the starter and clean them too.

To do electrical testing, you need to test when the car isn't starting. First test is to connect a volt meter to the blk/wht wire going to the starter to see if you are getting 12V when the key is turned to the start position.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Unless you have an aftermarket alarm system in the car, it isn't an anti-theft issue according to the wiring diagram.

I'd probably disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables (eyelets and bolts) with a wire brush or sand paper. With the battery disconnected, remove the connections to the starter and clean them too.

To do electrical testing, you need to test when the car isn't starting. First test is to connect a volt meter to the blk/wht wire going to the starter to see if you are getting 12V when the key is turned to the start position.
We'll we had the baterry, starter and alternator replaced about 2 months ago.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Since the problem started after those items were replaced, you want to ensure that they have good electrical connections.

The blk/wht wire getting or missing 12V will dictate the next step for testing.