Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   HELP HELP HELP help help help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/help-help-help-help-help-help-31399/)

mamtsberg 03-17-2010 06:12 PM

HELP HELP HELP help help help

I'm replacing rotors/pads on the rear of a 2001 Accord. I got one side done with no problem.

Other side, problem.

I was trying to get the 2 screws that hold the rotor out with an impact screw driver, the bit snapped off in the screw head, it had a little piece sticking out that I tried to pull out with pliers to no avail. Now that one is stuck in the head, I had a spare bit, that one broke too but got that out of the screw head (evidently I have a POS impact screw driver bits).

I need to get the one out of the head, pounding on it with a hammer and cursing at it haven't done the trick yet (I tried drilling into it just to see if I could loosen it up and evidently I'm an idiot as I've never had enough luck drilling metal). I need new bits so hopefully I can still get the other one out.

Please help

deserthonda 03-17-2010 06:18 PM

sorry to inform you that we do not offer any help unless you ask for it at least 7 TIMES ..

Ok just this once. :-).,, get a sharp punch, hit the screw with the punch and hammer in a counter clock rotation hopefully that will help..

JimBlake 03-17-2010 06:32 PM

PB-Blaster
Kroil
Liquid Wrench

The screwdriver bit that's stuck is harder than the surrounding metal (screw) so you'll have trouble drilling it - unless you get the fragments of bit out of there.

If you drill it out, be aware that you don't really need that screw. It's only there for convenience during assembly. The wheel lugs hold the rotor on once the wheel is installed.

Oh yeah... How about an actual descriptive thread title next time?

mamtsberg 03-17-2010 08:00 PM

For some reason I've never had luck with the whole drill the head and put an extractor in it, I could never get the hole drilled, my bits would just make a little dent, that's it, maybe I"m an idiot.

Anyway I got to thinking, what would McGyver do. So I took 2 paper clips, a pack of gum and 6 inches of duct tape, turned it into a plasma laser and cut new slots into the head and then got it out with the impact wrench.

OK it was a Dremel, just ground a single slot into the head and TA DA, problem solved.

Thanks for the help though, I guess I panicked, thank god those things aren't needed (I did take them out of the front rotors, first time doing the back ones).

JimBlake 03-17-2010 08:54 PM

That reminds me I got to buy a new bit set for MY impact screwdriver. A certain guy at work has borrowed it a couple times & each time it comes back with 1 or 2 more bits broken. I'm beginning to really dislike lending out tools.

mamtsberg 03-17-2010 09:15 PM

Amen to that.