Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   HELP HELP HELP! Hi Pressure Lines stuck on Steering rack (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/help-help-help-hi-pressure-lines-stuck-steering-rack-46400/)

brandon0409 03-24-2012 01:32 PM

HELP HELP HELP! Hi Pressure Lines stuck on Steering rack

I am trying to change out my power steering rack. Everything is loose.

The only thing I can't seem to get loose is the hi and low pressure lines that connect directly to the rack. If I could get those disconnected, the entire thing would slip out.

What is the trick. They are in such a difficult spot that I can't get to them without being a contortionist.

I can't reach them from under the car and I can't get enough leverage and torque from above.

Is there something else that I can remove to get better access?

This one thing is holding up all of my other repairs.

Thanks

g22cd5 03-25-2012 11:24 AM

Please read the rules in post in the correct area of the forum...This is your warning.

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums - Announcements in Forum : Do-It-Yourself Section

thread LOCKED

WheelBrokerAng 03-25-2012 02:08 PM

Brandon0409...This is where you went wrong and posted in the DIY forum, I moved it to here...Please pay attention to the posting rules from g22cdg moderator.

hondatech516 03-25-2012 04:59 PM

thats ur problem.. if everything is loose then those line bolts are hard as hell to break free.. bolt up the rack and try those bolts again.. they are hard as it is when everything is bolted down..u will never get them if the rack is loose flopping around.. good luck

brandon0409 03-26-2012 05:40 AM

I re-bolted everything back up and tried again pretty much once a day for the past week. I've been throwing PB blaster on there every day to try to loosen it.

When I said I had everything unbolted and loose, I meant that everything is off or can quickly be loosened up to pull it right out if I could just get these lines disconnected.

I literally have to contort my arm to get it down through the top of the engine to get access and then any leverage.

But there is only a small amount of room to even move around.

Then from under the car, it is absolutely impossible to even access the lines. I can see them through a small hole but that is it.

PS:
I apologize for posting in the wrong place. I did read the rules. But they are difficult to interpret. When it said DIY, I figured that I was doing it myself so. but I won't make that mistake again. And I did do a search and nothing useful came up. So I posted my individual experience.

hondatech516 03-26-2012 08:42 AM

Use a crowsfoot socket on a long extension and go through the driver side wheel well.. remove the wheel and you should be able to gain access thru there

brandon0409 03-26-2012 02:01 PM

Nope. Crowfoot didn't work. I couldn't even get one in there from any direction.

But I think I found the working formula. Two weeks worth of dousing it with PB Blaster once per day and letting it sit.

Because when I went out today, on my first try, the high pressure line loosened. Then the low pressure line loosened.

Now the time consuming part comes. I am S.L.O.W.L.Y unscrewing both. But this is taking some time because my hand keeps cramping from being contorted. But I'll take slow and steady any day over no results at all. I think in the next hour, I should have this stupid thing out.

I'll keep you updated.

WheelBrokerAng 03-26-2012 02:05 PM

Very good..we will read your posts and make note if all goes right with your repair job...

WheelBrokerAng :)

brandon0409 03-27-2012 09:20 AM

It took about an hour to slowly unscrew both connections because I was only able to give them about an 1/8th of a turn at a time. Then after every couple, I'd have to stop and rest because my had would cramp up.

I've read many posts about actually pulling the rack from under neath the car and how difficult it can be with all of the contorting and maneuvering to get it out... But once both lines were disconnected, the trick to pulling the rack out easily was...
I turned the steering rack all the way to the right (as if I were turning the wheels) using a socket wrench, so that the driver's side was all the way retracted and the passenger side was fully extended. This allowed the rack to almost fall out without any effort.

96FiveSpeed 02-14-2014 04:56 PM

How did the rack separate from the steering wheel arm?I see a rubber covering on top of the rack,and was wondering if there was a bolt or nut that needs to be removed to allow the rack to come off.On other cars,there was a 10 MM bolt on the side that held them in place.Never did the Honda before.