General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slight knock between 1800 and 3000 rpm at operating temp only

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Default Slight knock between 1800 and 3000 rpm at operating temp only

On my 97 Accord 2.2L it's slightly knocking after it warms up and it's very consistant. It does it in park and while driving. At first I thought it was pinging, but it's knocking. I was doing very close listening with the hood open and I'm 100% sure it's coming from the engine. Also at times it sounds like the engine is out of balance and the car kinda shakes when I'm cruising at 2500 rpm. I know it's an old engine and it's not 100%. Why does it not knock on cold start and why is it doing this and how can I fix it? I was reading about some other Hondas that have this same problem but I wasn't able to find a answer or solution. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Clean the EGR ports on the intake manifold.

Watch this video on how to clean. Even though the valve cover was already removed in this video, you don't need to remove it to access the ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8N-SE047VY

Old 06-15-2015, 02:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by 95Accord2.7L
At first I thought it was pinging, but it's knocking. I was doing very close listening with the hood open and I'm 100% sure it's coming from the engine. Also at times it sounds like the engine is out of balance and the car kinda shakes when I'm cruising at 2500 rpm.
Harbor Freight sells a mechanic's stethoscope for ~ $10 that works well for located noise sources in engine.
Probably other places sell same, too. In a pince a very long handled screwdriver held to the ear will work.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Clean the EGR ports on the intake manifold.

Watch this video on how to clean. Even though the valve cover was already removed in this video, you don't need to remove it to access the ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8N-SE047VY

Thanks. I was planning on decarboning this engine sometime soon. Do you think it will clean out those ports as well as other things when I do that? That way I wont have to take anything apart.

Also, so you don't think my engine is going out? I was thinking if it was my engine going out it would just knock all the time.

Also, do you think this sound it's making (if egr port related) is causing damage?

Old 06-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

The rpm range you are describing is the right range for the EGR to cause a misfire/pinging, so definitely start with those ports.

I do not advise decarboning. It will not clear the EGR ports. You have to remove that cover to clear the ports.

I would advise clearing the EGR ports sooner rather than later. You may want to unplug the EGR solenoid (not the valve) to disable the EGR system. Then listen if the noise goes away.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The rpm range you are describing is the right range for the EGR to cause a misfire/pinging, so definitely start with those ports.

I do not advise decarboning. It will not clear the EGR ports. You have to remove that cover to clear the ports.

I would advise clearing the EGR ports sooner rather than later. You may want to unplug the EGR solenoid (not the valve) to disable the EGR system. Then listen if the noise goes away.

where is the egr solenoid?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

It is in the engine bay near the driver's fender close to the top and is easy to access. Google 97 accord EGR solenoid to see a picture. The bottom of the solenoid/vacuum control is green plastic.