General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

honda accord idler pulley and automatic tensioner

Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

"Nobody else can help? " JimBlake is one of the best on this forum

Old 09-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
"Nobody else can help? " JimBlake is one of the best on this forum
I wasn't bashing jimblake. I was just trying to find someone who has specifically performed this job or knows exactly how to fix it. Thanks

Old 09-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by clemsondds
I wasn't bashing jimblake. I was just trying to find someone who has specifically performed this job or knows exactly how to fix it. Thanks
if you get your hands on the bulletin it will tell you step by step on how to do it and SHOW you what and how much to trim out of the lower t-belt cover

I was hoping that someone here would have a scanner and scan it for you ,, search online see if you can find the bulletin 08-082

http://www.odysseyownersclub.com/for...read.php?t=327

there you go , you need to open the pdf file..
it took me 30 seconds to do a search and find it..I wish that you would have done the same ,,

2004 Honda Accord V6-3.0L
Technical Service Bulletins Engine - Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement Instructions
Engine - Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement Instructions

08-082

November 1, 2008
Applies To:
2003-07 Accord V6 - ALL
2005-06 Odyssey LX, EX - ALL
2005-06 Pilot 4WD - ALL
2006-07 Ridgeline - ALL

Drive Belt Auto-Tensioner Replacement Instructions

BACKGROUND

Replacement drive belt auto-tensioners have been updated. Installing this updated auto-tensioner requires the lower timing cover to be trimmed slightly for clearance.

This service bulletin duplicates the instructions packaged with the drive belt auto-tensioner.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Trim the rib of the lower timing belt cover before installing the updated drive belt auto-tensioner.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Remove the drive belt and auto-tensioner:

^ Refer to of the appropriate service manual, or

^ Online, enter keywords DRIVE BELT, and select Drive Belt Auto Tensioner Replacement from the list.

2. Raise the vehicle on a lift, and remove the right (passenger's) front wheel.

3. Remove the under cover from the right side to access the engine.

4. Looking in from the right front wheelwell opening, inspect the lower timing belt cover's rib.

^ If the rib is untrimmed (as in the 1st illustration above), go to step 5.

^ If the rib is already trimed (as in the 2nd illustration above), go to step 6.

5. As shown below, use a die grinder or a utility knife to trim off a 3-mm section of the lower timing belt cover.

6. Reinstall the right side under-cover.

7. Reinstall the right-front wheel, and lower the vehicle.

8. Install the new drive belt auto-tensioner.

9. Reinstall the drive belt.

Last edited by deserthonda; 09-11-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by clemsondds
I wasn't bashing jimblake.
No problem. I've only done this on the 4-cyl engine, not the V-6.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Default re: 06 accord tensioner pully

no need to raise or lower the engine. there are two pullys. if your removing the upper pully its simple. first get a 13mm closed end wrench and put it on the bolt for the pully and turn it counter clockwise to take off the belt. then turn the same bolt clockwise to take the bolt off and remove pully and replace. simple. if your doing the lower tensioner pully use sme wrench and turn that one conter clockwise and loosen all the way. now the bolt and pully will not come off cause there is a 12mm bolt at about 7 o clock under the tensioner. i attached a few pics to help. what you will do is turn the steering wheel all the way right and get a 12mm socket with a 12-16 inch extension and shoot threw thfender well for a straight shot to the bolt.it will now come off. when removing there will be a plastic bushing type sleeve that goes into yhe back of the tensioner. dont lose. also there will be a 6 pt nut that goes into back of tensioner that the bolt for the upper pulley bolt will thread into. * IMPORTANT DONT FOGET TO PUT THAT NUT INTO THE BACK OF TENSIONER BEFORE YOU TIGHTEN BOLTS. drop new pully and tensioner back into place and get bothe bolts started, then proceed to tighten.* WARNING DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. USE TORQUE WRENCH IF POSS. you should be able to get the rest from there. hope it helped.

Attached Thumbnails honda accord idler pulley and automatic tensioner-img_0038%5B1%5D.jpg   honda accord idler pulley and automatic tensioner-img_0035%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Default tensioner pully 06 accord

no need to raise or lower the engine. there are two pullys. if your removing the upper pully its simple. first get a 13mm closed end wrench and put it on the bolt for the pully and turn it counter clockwise to take off the belt. then turn the same bolt clockwise to take the bolt off and remove pully and replace. simple. if your doing the lower tensioner pully use sme wrench and turn that one conter clockwise and loosen all the way. now the bolt and pully will not come off cause there is a 12mm bolt at about 7 o clock under the tensioner. i attached a few pics to help. what you will do is turn the steering wheel all the way right and get a 12mm socket with a 12-16 inch extension and shoot threw thfender well for a straight shot to the bolt.it will now come off. when removing there will be a plastic bushing type sleeve that goes into yhe back of the tensioner. dont lose. also there will be a 6 pt nut that goes into back of tensioner that the bolt for the upper pulley bolt will thread into. * IMPORTANT DONT FOGET TO PUT THAT NUT INTO THE BACK OF TENSIONER BEFORE YOU TIGHTEN BOLTS. drop new pully and tensioner back into place and get bothe bolts started, then proceed to tighten.* WARNING DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. USE TORQUE WRENCH IF POSS. you should be able to get the rest from there. hope it helped.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Talking just did it.

Originally Posted by bumpsk

this way works!!!! i just did it on my 06 accord v6 mt this way an hour ago and only took 30-40 min

Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Default Accord idler and tensioner pully

Glad it helped. Thanks for the feedback

Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by bumpsk

Thanks for the tip of going through the fender well. I got my local dealer to match Majestic for the tensioner and belt. Replaced the tensioner and belt in 30min. No more chirping...finally.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure which ones you are talking about.....does this pic look about right

Attached Thumbnails honda accord idler pulley and automatic tensioner-7th-gen-v6-tensioner.jpg