Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   How do I remove the distributor on my 97 Accord? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/how-do-i-remove-distributor-my-97-accord-43322/)

Cody_754 10-12-2011 05:21 PM

How do I remove the distributor on my 97 Accord?

2 Attachment(s)
I need to replace my heater core hose because it's leaking coolant, but the distributor is in the way. How can I go about removing the distributor without messing anything up? Any help is appreciated! :D

Here are some pics for reference:
Attachment 18841
Attachment 18842

JimBlake 10-12-2011 09:25 PM

There's 3 bolts for the distributor, and it slides out. But first, do yourself a favor with a few things...

Mark, tag, or otherwise draw a good picture of the sparkplug wires. You need to remember which one goes where.

The distributor twists for spark timing, so mark it carefully. I'd make a big fat mark with black permanent marker, across the top lug. Then scratch a nice thin line through that, across the 2 parts that mate up.

Then when the distributor is out, you will notice that there's a blade on the end of the distributor shaft, but that blade is a bit off-center. There's a matching off-center slot in the end of the camshaft, visible in the hole where the distributor came off. It's possible to put that back in wrong, if you force it with enough muscle. Just be aware of the off-center blade, & you'll be able to get it back correctly.

onmyownaccord 10-13-2011 10:22 AM

Cody,

Removing the distributor on a '97 Accord is pretty straight-forward, save for a few important points that you must heed. Here's the procedure for removal of said distributor:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Access the crankshaft pulley bolt through the left side inner fender liner. Use a socket, long extension and a suitable ratchet to rotate the engine. Rotate the engine counterclockwise until the white Top Dead Center (TDC) mark on the pulley aligns with the pointer on the engine cover.

3. Label the ignition wires to the distributor cap, but do not remove them, unless absolutely necessary.

4. Remove the distributor cap and note the location of the ignition rotor. If the ignition rotor is not pointing toward the terminal of the distributor cap for cylinder No. 1, rotate the crankshaft one complete revolution counterclockwise, and align the white (TDC) mark on the pulley with the pointer on the engine cover.

5. If the distributor is going to be reinstalled, make an alignment mark between the distributor housing and the cylinder head using a scribe or a chisel. Then, using a scribe, felt tipped marker or touch up paint, make an alignment mark on the distributor housing for the rotor.

6. Uncouple the electrical connectors on the side of the distributor.

7. Remove the three distributor mounting bolts, then carefully remove the distributor from the cylinder head.

The three 8X28 mounting bolts are displayed as ref #13 in the diagram below:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagram...lug-461705.png
*diagram courtesy of hondapartsnow.com; all rights reserved

poorman212 10-13-2011 10:40 AM

Onmyown-Some of what you have in the description isn't really needed?

Cody-Jim has given you pretty much everything that is really needed to do this job.....

redbull-1 10-13-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by onmyownaccord (Post 257870)
Cody,

Removing the distributor on a '97 Accord is pretty straight-forward, save for a few important points that you must heed. Here's the procedure for removal of said distributor:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Access the crankshaft pulley bolt through the left side inner fender liner. Use a socket, long extension and a suitable ratchet to rotate the engine. Rotate the engine counterclockwise until the white Top Dead Center (TDC) mark on the pulley aligns with the pointer on the engine cover.

3. Label the ignition wires to the distributor cap, but do not remove them, unless absolutely necessary.

4. Remove the distributor cap and note the location of the ignition rotor. If the ignition rotor is not pointing toward the terminal of the distributor cap for cylinder No. 1, rotate the crankshaft one complete revolution counterclockwise, and align the white (TDC) mark on the pulley with the pointer on the engine cover.

5. If the distributor is going to be reinstalled, make an alignment mark between the distributor housing and the cylinder head using a scribe or a chisel. Then, using a scribe, felt tipped marker or touch up paint, make an alignment mark on the distributor housing for the rotor.

6. Uncouple the electrical connectors on the side of the distributor.

7. Remove the three distributor mounting bolts, then carefully remove the distributor from the cylinder head.

The three 8X28 mounting bolts are displayed as ref #13 in the diagram below:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagram...lug-461705.png
*diagram courtesy of hondapartsnow.com; all rights reserved

There is no need to access the crankshaft pulley bolt to rotate the engine to TDC or remove the distributor cap and rotor, when all the OP wants to do is remove the distributor to access the heater hose. For the most part, JimBlake's advice will suffice.

Cody_754 10-13-2011 05:50 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll definitely post back here with my results! I'm gonna hopefully get around to doing this over the weekend!

bigpat 10-13-2011 06:36 PM

This is the same hose I had to replace on my 1993 LX. I was able to remove the clamp with a pair of needle nose vice grips from Harbor Freight. They have a curved jaw and I was able to access it from above and behind the distrubutor...Without having to remove it. Bought a Honda water inlet hose (heater core) from the dealer for $13.47 and a new set of worm gear hose clamps and had it done in under an hour.

JimBlake 10-13-2011 09:02 PM

Yeah, you don't really have to spin it to TDC. But onmyownaccord has been pretty helpful with tech advice - he's only helping out so that's OK.