Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   how to remove timing belt top cover (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/how-remove-timing-belt-top-cover-37172/)

darkgreen18290 01-03-2011 11:02 PM

how to remove timing belt top cover

Hi guys, just want to ask if you need to remove valve cover to remove the timing belt top cover?
Yesterday I want to check my timing belt but its giving me hard time to remove the cover, I already manage to remove the two bolts of the cover but it’s not coming out. Did I missed something…

Thanks.

PAhonda 01-03-2011 11:10 PM

I think you need to remove the valve cover.

TexasHonda 01-04-2011 11:55 AM

You don't have to completely remove, but all retaining nuts must be removed and valve cover lifted slightly to allow upper TB cover to clear from under the valve cover.

good luck

darkgreen18290 01-05-2011 01:27 AM

alright, got it! i will try once again this weekend.

thanks much :)

TexasHonda 01-05-2011 05:47 AM

A cautionary comment. Be very careful when working near the open upper timing belt cover. If you drop anything into the timing belt cavity, there is good possibility of damage if object is not removed. Removal is a big job requiring removal of cranshaft pulley and lower timing belt cover.

good luck

darkgreen18290 01-06-2011 02:51 AM

i'll take note on that!, thanks :)

bigdawg74 01-06-2011 10:13 PM

Not meaning to 'jack this thread, but my '91 has 138k miles on it. Unknown if TB has been replaced by previous owner(s). If I was to pop off the valve cover/TB cover and look at the belt, what would be a good indicator of if it has (or has not) been changed? Also, once the VC has been removed, does one need to replace the gasket? Thanks, guys....

TexasHonda 01-07-2011 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by bigdawg74 (Post 226237)
Not meaning to 'jack this thread, but my '91 has 138k miles on it. Unknown if TB has been replaced by previous owner(s). If I was to pop off the valve cover/TB cover and look at the belt, what would be a good indicator of if it has (or has not) been changed? Also, once the VC has been removed, does one need to replace the gasket? Thanks, guys....

There are no reliable wear indicators. Replaced belts don't look substantially different than new belts usually. If it's obviously worn, then don't delay replacement. If it looks pristine, then you'll need to replace anyway because you don't know that it's ever been replaced. Consequences of not replacing are severe; certain valve damage and potential to damage pistons also.

Only way to know would be to contact the previous owner and ask if TB has been replaced.

good luck

JimBlake 01-07-2011 06:51 AM

x2
An old belt will look quite good until maybe a few weeks before it breaks. What you DO want to look for is cracks at the base of each tooth on the belt. Problem is, those cracks don't necessarily appear very long before you have trouble.

Belts don't usually break by the belt coming apart. What happens more often is teeth will come off causing the cam to lose synch.

TexasHonda 01-07-2011 09:17 AM

I've also noticed on 2nd TB change where tensioner bearing was not replaced at 1st TB change that bearing grease was marginal (dryed out and bearing was slightly "rough"). It's doubtful the bearing would have survived to a 3rd TB. So, replacing the tensioner idler (bearing) is highly recommended also. They are not expensive.

Failure of beaing would lead shortly to failure of the TB.

good luck