Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   How to Replace Front Lower Ball Joints? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/how-replace-front-lower-ball-joints-40368/)

darsej.kai 05-27-2011 12:30 PM

How to Replace Front Lower Ball Joints?

Hello,

I own a 1989 Accord 2.0L LX Automatic Trans, 4-cylinder.

I need to change out the FRONT LOWER Ball Joints. I have my Chilton's guide but I am finding it rather difficult to begin. It seems I have to first remove the steering knuckle, but as I know nothing about this it looks a bit intimidating.

All my mechanic friends have only changed ball joints with the bolt heading upward, not downward though the control arm. So no help in this area.

I haven't worked much on cars but I believe I can do it, I just need some step by steps from someone who has actually done it (or a translator for the Chilton's :). Until then it looks like I will head in by taking off the spindle nut and seeing where I get after that...

I am also wondering if I really will need the Ball Joint remover/installer or if I can get by without using it.

Would really appreciate the help!!

Thanks, Darsej

draser 05-27-2011 01:41 PM

You can rent a bolt joint removal fork from Autozone, or the like, it's free. Then you can separate the ball joints from the spindle and remove the A-arms, and take it to a repair shop, along with new ball joints from your autoparts store. The repair shop should charge you about $20 a piece, remove and install, 40 bucks total - or thereabout.
Or your friends can help you with the removal, I'm not sure for your car if they're pressed in, or riveted/bolted in. It's the same process, whether they point up or down.
Now, do not use the fork above to separate good ball joints (like upper or tie rod ends) because it destroys it, but in your case you're replacing them anyway.

darsej.kai 05-28-2011 10:31 AM

Ball Joints

Thanks for the response.
I am still a bit unclear. Do I need to take off the spindle nut and proceed into taking apart the steering knuckle just to get at the ball joint? My Chilton's says to go about it in this way - I have never taking off the spindle nut, break disc, etc. and I don't want to screw up anything this way. There doesn't seem to be any other way at getting to them - from the bottom the control arm is in the way and I would assume I don't want to adjust anything there.

Chilton's says I don't a fork you are talking about... would it be something to make it even easier? And again... do I use it after taking off the steering knuckle??? This is my biggest question at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

poorman212 05-28-2011 10:46 AM

Yes, the axle nut is going to have to come off......And it is "ON THERE".

huntersdl 10-24-2014 06:40 PM

Im attempting to do this now the weather is cooler...rented ball joint kit and gear puller kit nothing worked.... the metal the ball joint is in is sloped and the gear puller slid...the bsll joint kit there wasnt a cup small enough to fit over the ball joint and on the frame surrounding it...it was just slightly too big....may try torch to heat up and try and bang the stud with a socket around it before I take it all apart and tske to a shop to get pressed...any other ideas?

poorman212 10-25-2014 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by huntersdl (Post 352270)
Im attempting to do this now the weather is cooler...rented ball joint kit and gear puller kit nothing worked.... the metal the ball joint is in is sloped and the gear puller slid...the bsll joint kit there wasnt a cup small enough to fit over the ball joint and on the frame surrounding it...it was just slightly too big....may try torch to heat up and try and bang the stud with a socket around it before I take it all apart and tske to a shop to get pressed...any other ideas?

What year Accord are you working on?

huntersdl 10-28-2014 08:26 PM

Reply to lower ball jt......im still wirking on that 89 lx sedan.....slow project. ....

poorman212 11-01-2014 06:24 AM

Ok, wasn't sure if you had the same as the OP or not.

Since you are replacing them. The "fork" might be the best way to get them to come out.

YeuEmMaiMai 11-01-2014 11:53 PM

watch this video

slickgeek 11-03-2014 10:39 AM

You will need to purchase a axle nut kit or rent one at a parts store. They rent these types of tools for free.