General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ignition sw 1990 Accord LX automatic transmission

Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Default Ignition sw 1990 Accord LX automatic transmission

The key is getting real difficult to get to turn and somewhat less difficult to remove. I am interpreting this as needing a new lock cylinder. Different keys seem to have some variance in this problem; but neither works well.

For the standard transmission that appears to be a simple and cheap fix. The auto transmission on the other hand requires the replacement of the entire assembly containing the cylinder. It is both expensive and time consuming.

Is this really necessary? If not, how does one accomplish the replacement?

I remember in my 84 Accord standard they made me buy the entire assembly and drill the old one off; and the cylinder was clearly replaceable with two screws. I did that in a gas station parking lot after arriving in Minneapolis late at night, in a snow storm, just moving to the city, and having my steering wheel lock up. That was fun.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

You can get a new key cut based off of your VIN number at a dealership for <$10. It is worth a shot and is like a new key.

I would try some WD40 in the lock to see if that can free it up. I would just disconnect the battery, because there is a lot of voltage that could spark the propellant. Work the switch to see if that helps.

The electrical part of the ignition switch can be replaced. The mechanical part can be replaced, but it is expensive. You could get a locksmith to replace the tumblers and springs if the mechanical part turns out to be bad.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM

The information I have found seems to imply that I can replace only the cylinder on a standard transmission car but have to replace the entire assembly on an automatic transmission.

Can the cylinder be replaced separately on the automatic transmission?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

You can read my post about my 93 w/automatic tranny (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...846#post225846).

I was following the Haynes manual; did it suggest to you that the lock cylinder cannot be removed from the auto tranny?

But, I'd definitely suggest trying the cylinder first while your key still turns. If you do end up screwing up the assembly, you just buy a new one...

Old 01-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

IF the WD40 loosens it up, then lubricate it with light oil like maybe sewing-machine oil. WD40 will evaporate out & then you'll be back to the beginning.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 PM

It really feels like something is simply worn to the point that it will no longer turn properly. I will try a new key. The service manual from Honda has one procedure for auto and one for manual shift. Listings for parts on the web; some show the cylinder only option for both transmissions, others imply it is one or the other.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Try the new key and let us know.

If you go to a site like hondapartsnow.com and look up your car, you can get the OEM part number for the electrical part of the switch and the whole assembly.

The part number is the same for a 4dr LX manual and auto, so the Honda part is the the same regardless of the transmission you have.

I am not sure why there are different procedures in the manual for AT vs MT. Maybe there are some extra steps to remove/replace the switch if you have an AT vs MT?

If new key does not work, I would consider having a locksmith repair the tumblers, because it should be less expensive than a new assembly and your original key will work on the ignition and the doors/trunk.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:54 PM

With the AT there is a whole bunch of mechanical linkages to the shifter. The things that keep you from taking the key out unless it is in park and stuff. For this there is drilling out break-away bolts. Look at pictures of the parts for ignition switch and ignition switch assembly.