Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Interior electrical!!!!!??? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/interior-electrical-52910/)

DMC80 02-09-2013 12:41 AM

Interior electrical!!!!!???

OK, HI, i'm new, so here it is.......
I have a 2000 accord ex coupe v6, i recently changed the lights in my clutser and climate controls to blue l.e.d. i changed everything with no problem until i decided to start on the moon-roof button and cruise control button to the left of the steering wheel. I popped everything out and went to change one of the 2 bulbs in the " cruise control'' button. at that point i forgot to turn off the car and the screwdriver made contact with somethin metal at the bulb, there was a spark, a little smoke and then a moment or two later my instrument cluster went out. now when i turn the car on some things light back up, but when i turn my headlights on everything inside turns off, i checked every fuse and all of them are good
is there another compartment for fuses or am i looking at getting a new multiplex unit or worse, could it need re-wiring or a new control board in the cluster itself..i can't drive at night due to i cant tell how fast im going or anything else for that matter, thankfully i own multiple vehicles, but my honda is my favorite, any info or leads to look into would be greatly appreciated....thanks

poorman212 02-09-2013 08:24 AM

Are the taillights working?

On the pass side, you did check the #10 15 amp fuse?

DMC80 02-10-2013 04:28 AM

Checked fuses on both sides, and under hood, all are good but i am hearing a distinct click comming from behind the glove box when i turn the headlights on and off, are there relays behind there? I already changed my cluster too, for 3x's less then what honda wanted and it's still the same problem, so i know i didnt burn out my cluster board, im thinking it's a relay somewhere or i'm hoping not but the multiplex unit..

poorman212 02-10-2013 10:29 AM

Yes the '00 EX has a tail light relay there, did you chek the tail lights as asked? Also, if I'm following it correctly, this is also tied to the cluster lights.

DMC80 02-10-2013 10:59 PM

Yeah i checked, all the fuses in all three compartments are good, i located the clicking noise, it is comming from inside the multiplex unit on the passenger side, when i disconnect it the click obviously stops, so im wondering if the short/ blow out is in there or could it be somethin in the light switch or the dimmer switch, but i took apart my dash cluster and the board looks good and no change with the new cluster u purchased either. I'm trying to narrow this down myself before i have to bite the bullet and take it in to the mechanic. I was also told somethin about a rheostat? Not sure if i spelled that correctly...if so then isnt that a swap for a new light switch?

poorman212 02-12-2013 06:00 PM

Are the tail lights working?

DMC80 02-13-2013 08:44 AM

I never lost my tail lights, but it turns out i blew out the multiplexer unit on the driver side, so i replaced it with one i pulled from the junk yard and every thing is working again.....

WheelBrokerAng 02-13-2013 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by DMC80 (Post 311285)
I never lost my tail lights, but it turns out i blew out the multiplexer unit on the driver side, so i replaced it with one i pulled from the junk yard and every thing is working again.....

Happy to see that You And Poorman figured that problem out..you know what to do next time you work with your bulbs..turn off that car!

WheelBrokerAng :)

DMC80 02-14-2013 07:51 AM

Yeah, i just went through round 2 of replacing the bulbs for l.e.d again, and was a little smarter this time, no to mention i have 3 more multiplex units set aside for spares. Thank god for junk yards that will let you test things first before you buy them, those were only $10 a piece vs what honda wants for just one....next project. Direct bolt lambo hinges....