Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Leaking oil (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/leaking-oil-15058/)

superballz00 01-01-2008 06:09 PM

Leaking oil

I noticed that my car was leaking oil yesterday but didn't have the time to check it out until today. There are 3 oil spots on the ground within one or two inches of each other. There is also oil leaking in the engine bay. Here's some pics of the oil leaking in the engine bay and the oil spots on the ground is directly below the leak in the pics. I had a honda mechanic take a look at it and he said that he thinks it's the cam seal going bad but isn't sure until he has a closer look at it on Thursday.

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mg08381ii8.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mg08391sg0.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mg08401cs0.jpg

HondatechAV6 01-01-2008 06:26 PM

RE: Leaking oil

it looks like either the cam seal or valve cover gasket.

superballz00 01-01-2008 06:33 PM

How much should it cost to replace them and what usually cause them go to bad?

JohnL 01-01-2008 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: superballz00
How much should it cost to replace them and what usually cause them go to bad?
Don't know, and old age, typically.

TexasHonda 01-01-2008 07:39 PM

In that position, the valve cover gasket is likely. Easy fix w/ < $25 for Felpro kit last time I looked.

good luck

HondatechAV6 01-01-2008 10:27 PM

the cam seal is difficult if you don't know how to deal with timing belts. the cam gear needs to come off.

superballz00 01-02-2008 02:38 AM

I'm having the mechanic do the work so was wondering what a reasonable price would be.

00AccordLX5spd 01-02-2008 08:24 AM

Price depends on where you are located. For example, inChicago, where HondaTechAV6 is, a timing belt job may cost $1200, whereas in Mississippi where I am,the same job costs around $450.
With the cam seal job, you are paying for the labor. The seal itself is cheap. I would expect it will take a few hundred dollars since it may take the tech a few hours. If it is merely the valve cover gasket, it shouldn't even cost $100 since it shouldn't even take the tech 1 hour to do.
What city are you in?
Has your timing belt and water pump been changed yet?

superballz00 01-02-2008 10:56 AM

I'm in Sacramento, CA right now. It cost me a little over $500t to change my timing belt/waterpump, 90k service, and valve adjustment. Spark plugs, wires, cap rotor was free because of the emission warranty by honda.

00AccordLX5spd 01-02-2008 10:59 AM

If the tbelt job was only 500, it shouldn't cost too much for a cam seal then. Call the shop that did your tbelt and ask them how much$. Let us know what they say! I'm still not entirely convinced it is the cam seal and not the valve cover gasket. Valve cover gasket is soo easy to DIY if you have some tools though. if you lived around Mississippi i'd tell you to bring the car to my house on the weekend and I'd do the valve cover gasket for you for a few beers;)
By the way, did they change any seals when they did your tbelt? if not, they might as well change them if they go in to do the cam seal.

superballz00 01-02-2008 11:14 AM

Well the mechanic isn't totallys sure it's the cam seal yet. Told me to bring it to him on Thursday so he can have a closer look at it. Only showed him where it was leaking yesterday. According to you I hope it is the valve cover gasket so I won't have to pay as much.

oma93 01-02-2008 12:21 PM

If you are mechanically inclined at all, I'd go buy the valve cover gasket set ($25) and some gasket sealer ($4) and do that first. It's only an hour or so of your time and under $30. If it still leaks then go for the cam seal. That said, if they are going far enough to do the cam seal then you kight as well get the whole job. Balancer shaft seals, crank seal, and new belts. That's my $0.02 anyway, YMMV.

HondatechAV6 01-02-2008 06:58 PM

todays big job:

2000 Odyssey
105k service(inspection, valve adjustment, spark plugs, engine air filter, a/c cabin filter, oil change, brake service, tire rotation)
timing belt(t-belt, p.s. belt, alternator belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, tensioner pulley)
rear drums & shoes

total cost: $2875 [sm=burnout.gif]

superballz00 01-03-2008 02:38 AM

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

todays big job:

2000 Odyssey
105k service(inspection, valve adjustment, spark plugs, engine air filter, a/c cabin filter, oil change, brake service, tire rotation)
timing belt(t-belt, p.s. belt, alternator belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, tensioner pulley)
rear drums & shoes

total cost: $2875 [sm=burnout.gif]
Woooooooow are you serious? I wouldn't think that would cost much more than $1000 in my area on an accord. Can't imagine the Odyssey being that much more expensive.

drummer1279 01-03-2008 12:56 PM

vans..the engine is tucked away so you have to dismantle a couple-3 more pieces to get to everything.

HondatechAV6 01-03-2008 06:01 PM

i find the odyssey t-belt easier than the accord. the pilot is a breeze too, you have just alittle bit more room by the rear timing cover. the rest is history.

keep in mind our t-belt is 5.0 labor plus all the parts(coolantx2, tensioner, pulley, tensioner pulley, water pump, t belt, ps belt, alt belt = about $1200)

105k service = 5.5 labor(valve adjustment requires the upper intake to be removed)

that's already $1200 in labor alone. add in the brakes and oil change it's $1500 labor.

superballz00 01-03-2008 06:45 PM

Well the honda dealer in my area does the timing belt for $600. That includes timing belt, water pump, coolant, valves adjustment, balance belts, AC/alternator/power steering belts, valve cover gasket, and all drive belts. The 105k service won't cost more than $200 and I'm not sure how much they charge for replacing the rear drums and shoes. I do know that they charge $100 to replace the front brake pads and machine the rotors.

HondatechAV6 01-03-2008 06:51 PM

we charge $220($108.50/hr) plus the pad cost. gotta love goldcoast chicago.

superballz00 01-03-2008 07:05 PM

Haha for people who work there. I guess people like the prices since they seem to be coming back.

HondatechAV6 01-03-2008 07:13 PM

well, the cost of living in the goldcoast is insain(a studio appt. is around $1000 a month!!). people expect good service for their money there. the appt. buildings take car of a lot of stuff for them. they expect good service from us also, and we do provide. we are quick, accurate and honest. [8D]

you get what you pay for...:D

superballz00 01-09-2008 05:41 PM

The mechanic wanted to try changing some easier seals first and see what happens. Ended up changing 3 but I forgot to ask which ones. Only charged $45 for parts because he said the job was pretty easy so didn't charge for labor. He said that it's unlikely the valve seal because he changed that one with the timing belt at 90k miles. The leak in the engine bay that I posted pics of is gone and I still can't really tell if it's leaking on the ground since the old oil spots are still on the ground. I'll put some newspaper or something and see if it still leaking tomorrow. Just hope that those seals stopped it because I don't really wana put out the money to change the cam seal.

oma93 02-09-2008 01:11 AM

Any way you can find out which seals/gaskets he replaced? Mine is leaking in the exact same spot. I did a timing belt on this and replaced all seals (cam, crank, balancers, upper and lower plug tubes, and valve cover but there is still a leak in the exact same place as in your pics.