Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   misfire mystery came back (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/misfire-mystery-came-back-8180/)

drummer1279 03-15-2007 06:52 PM

RE: misfire mystery came back

Jim: no Im not a newbie in the engine dept. However I have honestly never did anything fuel injector related so I had no idea that a bad injector o-ring would resemble a vaccum leak.

desert: the problem is I cant tell if its misfiring on one or across the board. so all I need to do is remove one spark plug at a time and crank it to see if the rpms drop and if it doesnt then I have a bad injector? just making sure I read that correct.

sir_nasty 03-15-2007 07:01 PM

When the car is running remove a plug wire, if the RPM's don't drop then that one may have a bad injector, remove a wire, listen for it or have someone watching the tach, replace the wire and move onto the next one.... be careful not to get shocked, it won't kill you but it doesn't feel good either...

JimBlake 03-15-2007 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: drummer1279

Jim: no Im not a newbie in the engine dept. However I have honestly never did anything fuel injector related so I had no idea that a bad injector o-ring would resemble a vaccum leak.
Sorry...

Not 'resemble'... it IS a vacuum leak. If you were to remove the injectors from the manifold, there's a big honkin hole whereeach injector goes. Pure & simple, the job of that O-ring is to seal that hole so air doesn't suck into the intake manifold.

drummer1279 03-15-2007 08:41 PM

no problem Jim.. I do know a good bit about engines, but this is only my second Honda and the first fuel injected honda Ive owned. this forum is great and all of you are very helpful.

deserthonda 03-15-2007 09:27 PM

Yo Nasty thanks for letting him know that it is a plug wire that he needs to remove..
I had forgot to type that in oooooooops..[:o]

drummer1279 03-16-2007 12:25 AM

lol no prob guys I will give the plug wire test tomorrow and give an update.

drummer1279 03-16-2007 11:19 PM

ok so nevermind about the misfire, I was in a wreck today and my whole front end is smashed to hell, thanks for the help tho, you guys are awesome.

JimBlake 03-17-2007 01:20 AM

OUCH! Wow, that sucks.

drummer1279 03-18-2007 06:12 PM

yeah royally. this is a testament to how tough hondas really are though. my engine is fine, radiator was not punctured, the mechanics are good, just no front bumper anymore and my hood i have to keep held down with bike cable and bungee cords

TexasHonda 03-18-2007 07:07 PM

If this has never had an O2 sensor replaced, check the O2 sensor response and long term fuel trim. If long term fuel trim is drifting away from zero substantially, a new O2 sensor may be indicated. This is a long shot, but you've covered most of the obvious problems.

An intake manifold leak can be traced by spraying throttle body cleaner around seams and other possible leak sites. A change in idle speed while doing this indicates a likely leak site.

good luck