General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Opinions on replacing my '88 Accord with a 2001 or other?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Default Opinions on replacing my '88 Accord with a 2001 or other?

Well, my '88 Accord with 267k+ miles on it looks to be on its way out. Mechanic says there are leaks everywhere (primarily in the cam/crank and distributor area), plus a loooong list of other issues that have gone unrepaired for years. It has been a great car. Starts up every morning and takes me to work 30 mins of highway driving. In fact, I even got it thru DEQ a couple weeks ago simply by replacing the valve cover gasket so the leak there wouldn't burn on the exhaust manifold. Amazing it got thru.

Such a great car that I am thinking of replacing it with a 2001 Accord EX V6 that has been meticulously maintained (according to seller who has records). He replaced the tranny about 1.5 yrs ago. Apparently this yr of Accord did have tranny problems, but with it replaced it should be OK. He had timing belt/water pump doone at 109,000. Current mileage is 155,000. He wants $4500 and says it has no leaks. Interior looks great -- he just had it detailed.

So thoughts from any one readiing this? How about you Poorman? You have helped me a ton on this forum and I respect your knowledge. The age doesn't bother me that much since it will feel practically new in comparison to what I am driving. The mileage I am not too keen on, but I also know first hand Accords can run a REALLY long time. In fact, I would take even better care of this one to try for 300K on the next one. And this price is right.

Or would I be a heretic to consider something else? In this age range, I have seen Mercedes 320 class in a similar price and mileage range, which surprised me. tho maintenance would probably be much higher. Audis, too. What about Toyotas? Or newere Hyundais -- could probably get newer for about the same price. Bought a 2002 Hyundai for my daughter a couple years back and it is doing great.

thanks for your thoughts/insights.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Default Opinions on replacing my 88 Accord

Hope this doesn't violate any forum rules, but would appreciate any opinions on replacing my BOB - beloved old beater. Post is in the OT area here.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...1-other-52063/

Considering an '01 EX with about 150K on it and new tranny. Should I ever be concerned that a car had a new transmission? An Edmunds article said be wary of any used car that has had major work on it, for example a new transmission.

thanks.

Last edited by Gordon; 12-28-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 AM

The biggest concern I would have raised- the transmission- you already addressed in your post. If that was replaced, and replaced with a quality unit, then I think this sounds like a good deal, assuming the rest of the car is in good shape (no leaks, no hidden accident damage, no rust, etc). Before my current Accord (in sig) I had a 1998 Accord EX coupe, and I loved it. If life circumstances hadn't intervened, I'd probably still be driving it (long story).

As for the second part of your question, regarding other cars, this is really an individual decision. Mercedes and Audis will have significantly higher repair (and maintenance) bills, but are still great cars. Toyotas are fine, and dare I say it, even Hyundais have drastically improved over the years. For my money, I'd stick with Honda/Acura, but this is really going to be your call.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I'm a fan of Honda's and really like the 3rd gens

But things have to come to an end. The '01 sounds like a good deal, you are aware of the trans issues so you know what you might be getting into on that. If you go with that be sure you stay on top of the trans fluid maint.

Toyota's are pretty solid as well. I can't speak to the others you have listed as I just don't know them that well - somebody else might be able to.

At the end of the day you are going to have to make the decision.

If you can, I'd keep the 88 as a spare. Start it or drive it once every two weeks or so. That way you have something as a back up, if nothing else throwing a few bags of mulch - or something else - in the back of it isn't going to upset you if it makes a bit of a mess.

Good luck and let us know what you decide

EDIT: I see Derek posted while I was typing...speaking to the other cars.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

I put the two threads together.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 AM

we bought an 01 EX 4 cylinder brand new. it has 270K on it and has literally been the most reliable car I have ever owened. Been buying cars since 1970.

Tranny crapped out in 2002, was replaced at no charge by Honda, and the fluid has never been changed since then. Other than an O2 sensor a couple years back, have never had any trouble with the car since. Still has the original starter and alternator.

Everything works on it (air cond, windows, CD changer, etc), no leaks anywhere, and still looks good. Truly been an amazing car

Old 12-29-2012, 12:22 PM

I think $4500 for a car that is just about 12 years old and has 155,000 on the odo may be a little high, IMO. I have had two Accords of that year range (1998-2001) and I can vouch that they are great vehicles, one of my favorite bodystyles. I just think you may be able to find one in just as good condition and with lower mileage for that price. I take it the 2001 you are considering is automatic transmission. Have you considered a 5-spd manual?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Gordon, if it's a one owner car that sounds like a nice vehicle.
No knowledge on tranny.

Originally Posted by ollieauto
I think $4500 for a car that is just about 12 years old and has 155,000 on the odo may be a little high, IMO.
respectfully disagree, 'cuz a yr ago I bought a 19 yr old 5 spd Accord, one owner w/ records, for $2700,
knowing I was paying a premium - 202,000 miles, btw.
Nice purchase, glad I did it, zero repair costs.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Sounds like that is a good car you bought.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:49 AM

I recently purchased a 2001 Accord coupe with 230K miles on it. Including initial purchase price and necessary repairs, I spent just over $4500. (I also spent about $1500 on unnecessary repairs but that's a different conversation with the wife.) If you look around at used cars, I think you'll find that a clean, trouble free, 6th gen Accord will run well over $5K. You can find them for less, but they'll need work.

It sounds like a good deal to me