Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   my car has the hiccups (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/my-car-has-hiccups-66621/)

rhanvey 04-08-2019 04:52 PM

my car has the hiccups

I have a 94 accord LX 2.2L AT. When I bought the car 2 years ago, I was told, it's only issue was an exhaust leak. I replaced the exhaust. Only to find out there were many more problems. Originally, after exhaust replacement, the engine would idle at about 300rpm. I had almost no power up hill. And a jumping tac needle. In the process of fixing this issue many things were replaced. Fuel filter, 1 injector, the rest of the injectors got new rings. The distributor cap had arc burns and oil in it. Replaced distributor. New EGR, PCV, TPS. Found and fixed a vacuum leak. Might be 1 or 2 other things but its been a while. A few months after finally getting the rpms and power up, the catalytic converter clogged. Replaced it. Since then...
There is now a hiccup while driving. Smooth while it idles. What gear or rpm does not seem to matter. While driving the engine suddenly bogs down and I loose power. If I press harder on the accelerator it jumps back to life and tries to be a race car. This seems to be completely random. The other day, on advice, I replaced the upstream o2 sensor. Now the car will not start and the D4 light is flashing. Which was not before replacing the o2 sensor. Any advice would be appreciated.

PAhonda 04-08-2019 07:46 PM

My best advice is to stop replacing parts without diagnosing from now on.

I'd say check for engine and transmission codes. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum on how to read CEL codes. The transmission codes are read the same way, but you read the flashing d4 light.

Post all codes you get on here. Tell which codes came from the CEL and the D4 light and we can give you some guidance.

rhanvey 04-09-2019 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 384768)

I'd say check for engine and transmission codes. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum on how to read CEL codes. The transmission codes are read the same way, but you read the flashing d4 light.

Post all codes you get on here. Tell which codes came from the CEL and the D4 light and we can give you some guidance.

First off, I am not just randomly replacing parts. I did not get into the minute details of what I have replaced and why. That is all irrelevant to my current issue. Just letting you know what has already been done so we don't cover it again.
As to the codes. There has never been any symptoms of trans issues. There has never been a CEL or D4 code (did have an abs code long ago). The d4 codes only came up after I replaced the o2 sensor and after a few cranks and no start. I will post the codes later. Thanks

PAhonda 04-09-2019 03:30 PM

Thanks for the update and wasn't attacking. Your first post made it sound like you threw a lot of parts at the vehicle for the current issue.

The code(s) will definitely help narrow down the next steps.

rhanvey 04-09-2019 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 384794)
Thanks for the update and wasn't attacking. Your first post made it sound like you threw a lot of parts at the vehicle for the current issue.

The code(s) will definitely help narrow down the next steps.

Sorry no, that's what ended up being replaced for multiple other issues. This is a new issue since replacing the catalytic converter.
D4 codes
1- o2 sensor #1. I bought 1 and put it in. This is when the no start and d4 flashing started. Thinking maybe bad sensor, I got another 1. Reset comp. Same issue.
8- TDC sensor
13- atmospheric pressure sensor
Anytime I've gotten any of these codes on other vehicles it Did not cause a no start condition. Just running not right and a CEL. Then again I've never worked on a Honda lol.

PAhonda 04-09-2019 11:10 PM

The D4 light flashing has a different list of codes.

From the D4 light
1 Lockup Clutch
8 Shift Solenoid B
13 Baro Sensor (part of the ECU)

From the CEL
1 O2 sensor
8 TDC sensor
13 Baro sensor

Let us know what codes came from the CEL and what codes came from the D4 light.

rhanvey 04-10-2019 11:07 AM

Sorry, guess I looked up the wrong list. I have only D4 flashing no CEL.

rhanvey 04-14-2019 11:58 AM

I need to correct myself from earlier. The CEL came on once . The car suddenly ran smooth as butter. All power an mpg returned. The light went out after I turned the car off and it sat about 40 min. Went right back to hiccuping. I hadn't got back to my house to read the codes.

rhanvey 04-21-2019 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 384768)

Where exactly do I find a list of the d4 codes. I can find CEL codes all day long. After resetting the comp again, I'm getting an added code 14.

PAhonda 04-21-2019 07:04 PM

Google cd7_cd9.pdf The 3rd hit is the 94 shop manual.

When describing your codes, let us know if these are CEL or D4 codes.