Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   NEED HELP!1992 Honda Accord will not start (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/need-help-1992-honda-accord-will-not-start-65270/)

Thndrchx 12-06-2017 07:16 AM

NEED HELP!1992 Honda Accord will not start

So I have been having an issue randomly with it not starting but after about 10-20 minutes it will start. I can hear it trying to turn over when this has occurred but then finally starts. So yesterday morning while sitting at a red light it just shut off but started right back up. Yesterday evening as I was driving up a hill all of a sudden the gas pedal went to the floor so I pulled off and it shut off and now will not start. Can anyone help me out???? Please!!!

poorman212 12-06-2017 06:53 PM

We want to help but to be able to help we need to find/define a few terms/words so we are on the same page.

Cranking/turning over = when the key is turned to start the starter will spin the engine

Starts/running = once the starter has "spun" the engine and it is running.

So is you car cranking but not running or is your car not cranking at all ?

JimBlake 12-07-2017 06:08 AM

If the accelerator pedal fell to the floor, that sounds like the throttle cable broke or disconnected?

Thndrchx 12-09-2017 08:46 PM

So I thought it was a fuel issue so today I replaced the fuel filter was planning on replacing the fuel pump also but when I got in it and turned the key I heard the fuel pump cut on with the humming sound...so right now what it does is you hear a VERY LOW sound of the starter TRYING to turn at first but get NOTHING

Thndrchx 12-09-2017 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212 (Post 378019)
We want to help but to be able to help we need to find/define a few terms/words so we are on the same page.

Cranking/turning over = when the key is turned to start the starter will spin the engine

Starts/running = once the starter has "spun" the engine and it is running.

So is you car cranking but not running or is your car not cranking at all ?

Okay so my issue now is that it will start to turn over but will not start...to me it sounds like a starter is out but when we tried to pop the clutch it wouldn't start so I am SO CONFUSED...because when it stopped the gas pedal went to the floor...I changed the fuel filter and I hear the fuel pump cutting on so IM JUST SOOO LOST!!!! Please help!!#

poorman212 12-10-2017 09:25 AM

We might be chasing multiple issues here.

Be sure the battery is fully charged and the connections are clean and tight. Next you want to test the voltage to the small wire at the starter solenoid while trying to start it.

Can you give more details of what you mean by "when it stopped the gas pedal went to the floor"? Do you mean the gas pedal by its own when to the floor or you were pressing it to the floor and it still died?

Thndrchx 12-10-2017 10:53 AM

I pressed the gas pedal a little bit to gain a bit of speed and when I did at first it started to accelerate then suddenly the pedal went to floor I let it go pressed it again and it went straight to the floor. So I pulled off the road and the car shut off and has not started since

PAhonda 12-10-2017 03:04 PM

Your gas pedal is attached to the throttle body by a metal cable. Take a look at the throttle cable attaching to the throttle body. Have someone press the gas pedal and make sure the throttle plate opens. You may have to remove the black rubber snorkel to see the throttle plate.

Do not install any more parts on the car, because I am not sure of your actual problem. Your description of the starter is confusing me. Here is a video on no-crank/no start vs a crank/no start.

Thndrchx 12-10-2017 09:57 PM

how do I go about checking the trottle cable????

Not sure on how to check the throttle cable...please help

PAhonda 12-11-2017 06:29 PM

Here is a video on adjusting the throttle cable. Don't do the adjustment. Just look to see if the cable moves when you push down on the gas pedal.