Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   New to me '94 Accord (with problems :) ) (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/new-me-94-accord-problems-27980/)

thesameguy 09-14-2009 11:12 AM

New to me '94 Accord (with problems :) )

Hi all -

This past weekend I came into possession of a '94 Accord. It's 5-speed (win) wagon (win) in gold/chapagne (not so much) over tan. It's the first Honda I've ever owned, though my dad had an '87 Accord LXi in '87, and my mom a '76 CVCC in '76.

It has unknown mileage, but it made the 400 mile journey from Los Angeles to Sacramento easily. I kept the speed limited to about 75mph, and netted 32.7mpg average. The entire drive I kept thinking about the label under the hood which said "TIMING BELT NEXT INTERVAL 170,000" and the broken odometer stuck at 162,999. No idea how long it's been there, but I kept having visions of a TWANG/MASH event under the hood.

No issues whatsoever, and in fact drives pretty well. Starting is slightly rough and the clutch is juddery as hell, but it does everything else fine. Lots of little details - missing trim, a sunroof which slides but doesn't tilt, a couple power locks which sound like they're damn near dead, and a generally filthy interior. Plus the dead odometer and the ABS issue... Interestingly, the ABS works great the first ride of the day, but after the car has been shut off and restarted the light goes back on. I don't know how long it needs to rest before it's okay again, but it's more than 2 hours and less than seven.

Before I get to the maintenance issues, I need to fix the odometer and at least investigate the ABS issue... where's the best place to post those Qs? I didn't see a "brake" or "instruments" area...

Thanks!

JimBlake 09-14-2009 12:36 PM

Welcome!
I'd start with the General Tech. area for pretty much everything.

Take a look at the DIY section, but it's not really the place for ASKING these questions. It's more like a library of posts containing long detailed instructions. We're currently trying to repair the DIY section back into it's original intention.

WheelBrokerAng 09-14-2009 03:08 PM

Hi Member

Hi New Member:

so if you dont find it in search or the DIY forums, put the questions like that into General Tech forums..

Have a great time looking :)

thesameguy 09-15-2009 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 183905)
Welcome!
I'd start with the General Tech. area for pretty much everything.

Take a look at the DIY section, but it's not really the place for ASKING these questions. It's more like a library of posts containing long detailed instructions. We're currently trying to repair the DIY section back into it's original intention.

Thanks Jim - you don't happen to also drive a Saab, do you?

dfaulkner 09-15-2009 12:44 PM

Welcome to the site fellow wagoneer!

benjiaccord 09-15-2009 12:45 PM

I'm pretty sure that none of the sunroof's tilted...I know mine doesn't and mine is factory.

JimBlake 09-15-2009 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by thesameguy (Post 183984)
Thanks Jim - you don't happen to also drive a Saab, do you?

Yeah the 92x is mine. The 93 is my wife's - so I get to drive it whenever the gas tank is empty.

thesameguy 09-16-2009 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by benjiaccord (Post 183987)
I'm pretty sure that none of the sunroof's tilted...I know mine doesn't and mine is factory.

Yeah, turns out I'm an idiot on that. No tilt. I swear my Dad's '87 LXi tilted, but maybe the drugs have fully kicked in...

thesameguy 09-16-2009 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 183992)
Yeah the 92x is mine. The 93 is my wife's - so I get to drive it whenever the gas tank is empty.

Heh - I'm a multiple owner, frequent TSN poster - Justin VanAbrahams. :)

JimBlake 09-16-2009 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Justin!
I think maybe I met you at the Hershey PA convention...??
I started hanging out on TSN back around early '90s.