Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   new member looking for some help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/new-member-looking-some-help-31792/)

sleepybuddah 04-07-2010 12:13 PM

new member looking for some help

Hi, I have an 04 accord, 4 cylinder with 140,000 miles. I have a few questions I need help with asap. Someone please help me with a few answers....Ok...

1. Is a transmission, brake and power steering flush necessary?

2. Is it ok to use anti freeze from auto parts stores or is it better to use factory honda anti freeze?

3. How to do a complete radiator coolant flush? How to do a brake flush?
How to do a power steering flush?

g22cd5 04-07-2010 01:00 PM

Can't flush the tranny if you do you will mess it up. You have to drain and fill. Honda auto tranny don't have a serviceable filter.

Yes you can use store bought coolant

The other stuff you will need to do some searching...b/c the search engines are your best friends bud. If you can't help yourself nether will anyone else will. Just for future reference.

kris_loehr 04-07-2010 03:43 PM

The coolant flush you will find doing a search on here and is quite long to post the procedure. I am not familiar with doing a PS flush as maintenance but it is a good idea. Trans you should drain and fill and use Honda trans fluid. On the brake flush there are many ways to do this. When I worked at a Honda dealer they would use something to remove the fluid from the master cylinder, then filled with new fluid then hooked up a pressure bleeder to the master and bleed the brakes. At home I gravity bleed the brakes and never let the master go dry. I hook up a bottle to catch the fluid, open the bleeder then pump the brakes until the master is close to empty and then refill with fresh brake fluid. After that I leave the master cover off and open a bleeder and catch the fluid in a bottle with a tube going to the bleeder and keep adding to the master. If the fluid doesn’t start just by opening a bleeder I pump the brakes a little to get it started. You don’t need to pump the master close to empty as I started with. it just saves time. When you reach the fresh fluid coming out of the bleeder it will be a lighter color but I just go through about a master full per wheel. Leaving the master cover off uses atmospheric pressure to push the fluid out of the bleeders.

sleepybuddah 04-07-2010 05:00 PM

Thanks guys. So these accords arent supposed to have a tranny flush done to it as well as an engine flush?

JimBlake 04-07-2010 08:46 PM

I think the Honda auto-trannys don't get along with powered flushing-machines. Drain & fill is the preferred way to change ATF.

Engine-flush? Talking about those products you put in the crankcase before changing oil? Probably OK, but I would only do that if there's some particular problem you're noticing. Not "just because".

kris_loehr 04-07-2010 11:59 PM

This seems to fit in the thread. The dealer I worked at added a graphite additive to the oil with the new car prep and never heard of it again.

g22cd5 04-17-2010 07:24 PM

normally you use seafoam in the crank case be4 changing the oil. But if you have a good bit of miles on the engine it's not a good thing. B/c the oil gunk actually seals up the spaces around seals in your engine. When using seafoam or other stuff like that it will strip that gunk from your seals and cause them to fail sooner. Iv seen it happen to couple of friends honda engines...I just stay away from adding anything to the crank case besides oil and lucas for dry starts.