Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   New Memeber 1989 Honda Accord LXI won't stay running (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/new-memeber-1989-honda-accord-lxi-wont-stay-running-56767/)

Ookie833 09-28-2013 02:58 PM

New Memeber 1989 Honda Accord LXI won't stay running

Hi,

I have a Honda Accord LXI 1989. The other day I was driving and it just cut off. No sign it was going to at all. waited about 5 minutes than it started. Now it won't stay running. It starts and fires but idles off instantly unless I keep the key turned but as soon as I let go of the key it idles off. Changed the distributor cap and rotor. No luck.

Any ideas about what could be wrong??

poorman212 09-28-2013 04:03 PM

Thanks for joining HAF.

Sounds like the elect part of the key switch might be bad......have a volt meter or test light to check a few things?

Ookie833 09-28-2013 09:00 PM

Yes I do have a a volt meter. Thanks for replying. :)

WheelBrokerAng 09-29-2013 01:21 AM

Welcome to the HAF...

2 Attachment(s)
Good to have you with us here in the forums.. :D

poorman212 09-29-2013 08:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Again, this is sounding like a bad ign switch - just the electrical part.

Check for continuity using the attached.....key on - position II, I'll guess the BLK/YEL will not have continuity.....but test it.

Ookie833 09-30-2013 09:11 AM

Hey! Think it is ignition switch. Took it out and it looks burnt. ordered new part. Hoping it will be up and running soon. Thanks for the help.

poorman212 09-30-2013 07:51 PM

Keep us posted :).

On the 3rd gens (86-89) parts are getting harder to find. I hope you were able to get just the elect part of the switch?

If you "need the car" before the part arrives...send me a message and I will walk you thru hot to "hot wire" the car to at least get it going....if you can't figure it out by the diagram I posted :)
:)
Looks like Ang moved you into General Tech. Yes I Did :)

Ookie833 10-03-2013 06:10 PM

ok. Ignition Switch changed. Started like a champ. drove all day just fine. Then at end of day. went to turn it on and it started up just fine. But would idle off. :mad: rev gas and would idle off. After 4th time started and ran just fine. ahhh...this is driving me mad. So changed distributor and rotor and now ignition switch. All fuses fine. Any ideas what else it could be?

poorman212 10-03-2013 06:30 PM

Check for any codes.....LXi has the OBD-0 set up..the ecu is under the drivers seat and has an led light that "blinks" any codes.

Get into a habit of turning the key to "on"/pos II and watching the CEL light. It should come on for a few seconds and then go off.....at the same time you can hear the fuel pump prime if you have all "noise turned off" inside the car (blower motor, radio, door shut so the beeper isn't there, ect).

Did the old switch "test bad"?