Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   new stereo, only 4 speaker outputs, have 5 speakers (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/new-stereo-only-4-speaker-outputs-have-5-speakers-22523/)

91accordwagon 12-23-2008 03:38 PM

new stereo, only 4 speaker outputs, have 5 speakers

Hey guys, I know this is probably better suited in the electronics forum, but i have never been able to get into that section of the forum, always gives me a 404 error...

Anyway,

I am getting a new head unit for christmas, wifey didn't hide it too well. My only concern is that it only appears to have four speaker outputs and my 91 accord wagon has five speakers: two in front door, two above and behind back seat, and one 6x9 in the rear hatch.

I know little/nothing about stereo systems so i guess my question is, what do I do about this? Does this mean that I will not be able to wire up the 6x9 in the back? Am I able to wire two speakers together??

Thanks for any help.

jason

finch13 12-23-2008 03:43 PM

RE: new stereo, only 4 speaker outputs, have 5 speakers

I'd look at the harness for the car first, the hatch speaker may just be connected to one of the rear speakers.

If there are indeed 5 sets of speakers wires in the harness, I'd just leave the hatch one disconnected... it probably doesnt add much to the sound you hear anyways.

http://installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/PDF/466033.pdf

91accordwagon 12-23-2008 04:21 PM

finch13,

Thanks for the fast reply and the awesome link on installing the stereo, that will be very helpful.

I looked over all the wiring diagrams and don't see anything for the 6X9 in the rear, so ??? who knows, maybe its wired into one of the other sets of speaker wires.

Thanks again,

Jason

91accordwagon 12-23-2008 04:22 PM

finch13,

While were at it, any suggestions as to speakers? I have seen on two different sites that the front speakers are either 5" or 5.25", so I am unclear on that size, the rear speakers are listed as 3.5".

Jason

finch13 12-23-2008 05:03 PM

I saw that it had wiring for only 4 speakers too, I'd check at the harness and if it only has 4 sets of wires for the speakers, just ignore the 5th one.

Crutchfield is listing the front speakers at 6.5" and the rears at 6x9. I would trust Crutchfield with the sizes, as those are typical sizes for Hondas.

It won't hurt to take a door panel off up front and double check the actual size.

91accordwagon 12-23-2008 05:25 PM

finch13,

Here is what I have from Crutchfield:

1991 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon

Factory Stereo Installed[/i] [change] [/ul]
Factory replacement info:

In-dash stereo
7-3/4" depth; Size code DD,E,ER [/align]
Front speakers
Front Door: 5"

Far rear speakers
Pillar2: 3-1/2"
Rear Wheel Wells: 6x9"
As far as the rear speakers go, there is only one 6x9" and that is the speaker in the lift gate.

The other two speakers in the rear are in the headliner just behind the rear seat, and they are definately not 6x9, I tend to think the 3-1/2" mentioned above is correct.

Thanks again for your continued assistance.

jason

finch13 12-23-2008 05:28 PM

Interesting... I didn't get to chose the wagon option... sounds like you have the right sizes. You wont get much bass out of those tiny 3.5" speakers though hahaha

91accordwagon 12-23-2008 05:35 PM

Yeah, no kidding, that is why I was hoping to be able to at least use the 6x9.

Iguess i might just have to upgrade the whole system and fit some bigger/better speakers back there.

As a side note, I just remembered that the 6x9 isn't in the lift gate, it is mounted on the side behind the rear tire well.

Jason

finch13 12-23-2008 05:44 PM

Putting speakers in enclosures never hurt anything... they dont look the best, but the sound is 100x better than the door.

If worse comes to worst, you could always follow the 6x9 wires and connect them to one of the speakers.