Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   New Wiper Blades (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/new-wiper-blades-67523/)

pspens 02-13-2020 07:48 PM

New Wiper Blades

I've been thinking about replacing the wiper blades in my 2013 Accord and saw an advertisement for rockauto.com and thought I'd take a look to see what they had. Their site is nicely structured so you can drill down by make, year, model, engine type then part. So I went to Honda, 2013, Accord, 3.5L V6 , "wiper and washer" -> "wiper blade". What I found astonished me! I was expecting maybe a couple of options. I found 7 (!) major categories to select from:
Economy, Conventional Frame Style, Standard-Beam, Winter, Hybrid, Improved Frame Style, and Premium Beam. I just wanted to basically replace what I had, which is two blades of different lengths. This is the first car where the wiper blades varied from left and right. So I just thought I would ask for any guidance here. Price isn't really a concern to me: proper fit and performance is. Any idea what these categories mean and how they compare to the blades my Honda came with?

PAhonda 02-13-2020 09:16 PM

Does your accord have the wiper blade where the rubber blade is part of the beam, or could you slide out the rubber piece and just replace the wiper part?

pspens 02-13-2020 09:26 PM

I'm not sure what that means. I have removed the rubber blades and reversed them (bottom -> top) to eliminate streaks. I'm not sure what you mean by the "beam".

pspens 02-14-2020 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 389378)
Does your accord have the wiper blade where the rubber blade is part of the beam, or could you slide out the rubber piece and just replace the wiper part?

I've removed the blades to reverse them, so I guess the rubber part is not part of the beam. So the "beam" is the metal piece holding the blades?

Seanjordan20 02-14-2020 06:54 AM

I always buy all my wipers from rock auto. I usually go with the premium beam style because it's reinforced better causing less chatter. The frame style should be what you have currently. Each frame style further down gets better with hugging the windshield.

It really a preference thing when it comes to buying either the frame style or beam style. Just know you can't replace blades on a beam style you must replace the whole wiper.

pspens 02-14-2020 01:24 PM

Well, the rubber blades proper are clearly removable--the owners manual describes how to replace them. However, I don't see any products on rockauto.com that appear as if they're just the rubber blades. All the products seem to include the frame (if that's the correct term) that they're connected to.

pspens 02-14-2020 02:01 PM

By doing a little search on the internet for Mitsuba blades (the type installed in on my Honda) the found the following useful link to just what I was
looking for:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...tant-fact.html

It doesn't appear the rockauto.com carries just the inserts. So I am paying about as much at Amazon for the inserts as I would at rockauto.com for the whole assembly. That's ok since I know I shouldn't have any issue installing them whereas I have no idea whether ones on rockauto.com would fit my Honda, which is apparently what is being called a "hook" type arm on the rockauto.com site.

Seanjordan20 02-14-2020 02:36 PM

Yes the Honda wiper is a hook type which the blade is installed on. Buying from rock auto is replacing the wiper not blade

The Toecutter 02-14-2020 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20 (Post 389381)
I always buy all my wipers from rock auto. I usually go with the premium beam style because it's reinforced better causing less chatter. The frame style should be what you have currently. Each frame style further down gets better with hugging the windshield.

It really a preference thing when it comes to buying either the frame style or beam style. Just know you can't replace blades on a beam style you must replace the whole wiper.

Yup. I've been buying their Bosch brand wiper blades. They seem to have been holding up pretty good on BOTH Accords.
To the OP, my Accords were the first cars I've ever owned that used 2 different size blades too.

pspens 02-18-2020 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by pspens (Post 389383)
By doing a little search on the internet for Mitsuba blades (the type installed in on my Honda) the found the following useful link to just what I was
looking for:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...tant-fact.html

It doesn't appear the rockauto.com carries just the inserts. So I am paying about as much at Amazon for the inserts as I would at rockauto.com for the whole assembly. That's ok since I know I shouldn't have any issue installing them whereas I have no idea whether ones on rockauto.com would fit my Honda, which is apparently what is being called a "hook" type arm on the rockauto.com site.

I just ended up buying the wrong blade due to not reading the post at the above link carefully. I relied on the part number information given on the Mitsuba blade to think I was getting the right replacement blade. It turns out that the part quoted has the same part number as the blade on my passenger side but a different length!. It clearly states 425mm and my blade is 475mm yet the part numbers are the same M0B2-S2-085.