Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   No brakes with A/C on, WTF??? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/no-brakes-c-wtf-3891/)

terminator 07-05-2006 04:03 PM

No brakes with A/C on, WTF???

Sounds weird but it's true. I have a 91 EX 5 speed sedan with 172K and when the A/C is on and I'm in town I have major brake fade. I mean the pedal goes to the floor. It will start with a pedal but goes soft almost immediately and then to the floor leaving me with no brakes. If I turn the A/C off and wait, brakes are back to normal with no fade at all. Does this sound like a booster going bad or what the hell is wrong with my car????? Any and all help is obviously appreciated and desperately needed.
Thanks
Jason

YeuEmMaiMai 07-05-2006 05:15 PM

RE: No brakes with A/C on, WTF???

do you have a vaccum leak? A/C places a load on engine and may be just enough to kill off the brakes due vaccum leak or a bad booster

sir_nasty 07-05-2006 06:41 PM

just to make sure but you have a full fluid resevoir and no brake fluid leaks correct? If that's the case then just to make sure but you have no other brake issues unless the A/C is on?

Chiovnidca 07-05-2006 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

do you have a vaccum leak? A/C places a load on engine and may be just enough to kill off the brakes due vaccum leak or a bad booster
That would cause the pedal to get hard, wouldn't cause it to go to the floor. Probably has a bad master cylinder.

mbo1985 07-05-2006 08:47 PM

Yeah, if a vacuum leak was the cause, the pedal would just get super hard to push. It sounds like a master cylinder to me too.

terminator 07-06-2006 09:50 AM

No leaks, just no brakes when the A/C is on for a bit. I drove 550 miles with the A/C on before but it was all highway and I had no problems. I had to let the car sit running with the A/C on for about 15-20 minutes waiting for my wife and when I pulled out I had the brake problems. After driving with the A/C off it went away.

YeuEmMaiMai 07-06-2006 09:55 AM

well it would sink the the floor first right?

terminator 07-06-2006 10:49 AM

The brakes at first feel fine but the pedal continues to the floor. When I hit the brake pedal I get a strong pedal for about a half second or so then it continues to the floor and NO BRAKES, AHHH!!!! THAT SUCKS BIG TIME!

95SiR 07-06-2006 03:32 PM

it should be ur master cylinder, fix it and the problem should go away, i have the same problem until i change the master clylinder

sir_nasty 07-06-2006 03:50 PM

is it the master cylinder itself or is it possible to just replace the seals? Anyone know? I'm sure replacing the seals would save you some monster cash...