General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Normal Power Steering Pump Noise ?

Old 02-26-2019, 12:15 PM
hmr
Default Normal Power Steering Pump Noise ?

I own a 2000 Honda Accord EX sedan, A/T, 4 cylinder. I recently had my power steering pump replaced. I can hear a faint but audible humming sound coming from the new power steering pump while driving and at idle. Is that normal ? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

I presume the fluid is OK, not low and foaming?

Sounds are funny just by written descriptions. It may just be fresh bearings in the new pump, and a new belt, waiting to run-in a little bit.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:06 PM
hmr

Thanks. Brake fluid is filled to approx. the top mark on the reservoir. I did notice that the fluid swirls while the engine idles. But, I heard that's normal. BTW, the Harmonic Balancer was also replaced. Lastly, it sounds like the hum varies with acceleration.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by hmr
Thanks. Brake fluid is filled to approx. the top mark on the reservoir. I did notice that the fluid swirls while the engine idles. But, I heard that's normal. BTW, the Harmonic Balancer was also replaced. Lastly, it sounds like the hum varies with acceleration.
It might actually be the belt tension, rather than the pump. I only say that as the cold affects how loud or quiet the pump is on my 99 Accord 4 cylinder. But if the level is correct, and it's using Honda fluid, the pump should be quiet. Mine's actually belt tension, as it was a new belt I installed. It's still the original pump, but I've replaced both lines.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:31 PM
hmr

Yes, the belts would have been adjusted as part of the repairs. If the hum is belt related, would you expect that noise to diminish over time as the belts loosen up a bit ? The hum seems to fluctuation with acceleration.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I'd expect that to get quieter as a new belt stretches a bit.

Now about the fluid... It's normal to be swirling when the engine is running. After all it circulates then returns to the reservoir. But do you have any reason to think it wasn't Honda fluid? PS fluid is one of the fluids that's unique for Honda. If it's not genuine, at least the bottle has to say "for Honda/Acura". The stuff that says "all cars" isn't good for your pump.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by hmr
Yes, the belts would have been adjusted as part of the repairs. If the hum is belt related, would you expect that noise to diminish over time as the belts loosen up a bit ? The hum seems to fluctuation with acceleration.
Yes, except on the 6th gen Accords the power steering belt, and the main belt are manually adjustable (no auto tensioning).

Old 02-28-2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Yes, I'd expect that to get quieter as a new belt stretches a bit.

Now about the fluid... It's normal to be swirling when the engine is running. After all it circulates then returns to the reservoir. But do you have any reason to think it wasn't Honda fluid? PS fluid is one of the fluids that's unique for Honda. If it's not genuine, at least the bottle has to say "for Honda/Acura". The stuff that says "all cars" isn't good for your pump.
Agreed, my pump made more noise after I replaced the return hose/line and used generic power steering fluid. When I replaced the pressure line, I changed the fluid back to genuine Honda fluid and the pump is now quiet. I got 5 jugs of it off e-bay for 25 shipped.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:19 AM
hmr

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Agreed, my pump made more noise after I replaced the return hose/line and used generic power steering fluid. When I replaced the pressure line, I changed the fluid back to genuine Honda fluid and the pump is now quiet. I got 5 jugs of it off e-bay for 25 shipped.
FYI, as previously stated, the power steering pump was recently replaced. I'm sure that it wasn't OEM. Also, the harmonic balancer pulley was replaced. When I park the car and let it idle I can hear the hum / moan sound. And, when I turn the steering wheel one way or the other I can hear the pitch of the sound fluctuate with the steering wheel movement. Would that isolate the noise to the power steering pump ?

Old 03-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by hmr
FYI, as previously stated, the power steering pump was recently replaced. I'm sure that it wasn't OEM. Also, the harmonic balancer pulley was replaced. When I park the car and let it idle I can hear the hum / moan sound. And, when I turn the steering wheel one way or the other I can hear the pitch of the sound fluctuate with the steering wheel movement. Would that isolate the noise to the power steering pump ?
Yes it would isolate the noise to the pump.
Just so you know, on my 99 Accord 2.3L 5 speed I replaced my harmonic balancer/lower pulley, because the key way wallowed out and the engine jumped time due to a loose crank bolt. It was also the reason I got the car so cheap, as the PO thought the engine was bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Normal Power Steering Pump Noise ?