Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   OBD scanner (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/obd-scanner-66483/)

Schleprock 02-09-2019 03:08 PM

OBD scanner

Is there an OBD scanner you can get for an Android tablet, and then get some kind of USB connector that has a the right connector for diagnostics on the other end?

My buddy had his OBD scanner stolen, he said it was about 800 dollars to replace, but we have a language barrier, (English - Spanish) so I may not have understood correctly.

Would any of these scanners be as good as a tool designed specifically for doing diagnostic work? Would it be as good as a real scanner, I guess is what I am saying.

I would hate to see him waste money on this only to find out it is not very good.
Then he would have had his scanner stolen > spent money on something that won't work > and still have to buy another scanner + all the lost time.

(my problem is that I can't differentiate between internet marketers and people who have a good product. I can't tell if Product A is the best scanner because it pays the website owner the highest commission or if it is the best because it is just really good) I don't know enough about cars.

Seanjordan20 02-09-2019 11:17 PM

If you want something simple OBD Fusion app is goo and it connects to a Bluetooth OBD device that cost around $15. It will not compare to the $800 device but it's great for diagnosis and resetting engine codes

Schleprock 02-10-2019 01:15 PM

Hey, thanks for repying. I appreciate it.

He is working on my brakes today, so I will ask him about it and see if he wants to try it.

I would imagine the software will have some return policy, so if it does not work we can the way he wants it to we may be able to return it. A 15 dollar connection is pretty cheap to see if this will satisfy him.

THanks

He is a native Spanish speaker so maybe I should have him look up the app itself on a Spanish site and see if ti is what he wants. Anyway, it looks like it will be fairly inexpensive to find out.

Schleprock 02-17-2019 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20 (Post 384104)
If you want something simple OBD Fusion app is goo and it connects to a Bluetooth OBD device that cost around $15. It will not compare to the $800 device but it's great for diagnosis and resetting engine codes

What sort of differenece is there between something like the OBD Fusion App or Torque Pro (or any of the Google Play Android Apps) and say Launcher x431?
Is it like comparing the Boy Scouts to the United States Army or is the software similar but you just need to get a high end Blue Tooth device, like the Blue Driver $99 connector instead of the 20 dollar connector.

I read that the Launch will tell you every error code the vehicle has, including things like misaligned body parts.

Will the Android apps (with quality bluetooth connector) tell you everything about the engine but it just won't read the rest of the error codes?

I get that this is probably a huge question but if someone can boil it down to a few sentences that a layman can understand it might help me.
(the point is, I don't want anyone to take a lot of time answering this in detail because it will likely be lost on me anyway. I am trying not to waste your time)

Does a small shop, that only really works on motors and drive train problems really need Launch x431?

PAhonda 02-17-2019 08:24 PM

I'd say that every android app is different, so do your homework.

The important question is what do you need from your scanner? Even some high end scanners have gaps in their capabilities.

Here is a list of some functions scanners may have up to the high end scanners. I"m probably missing some, but this should illustrate my point.
1. All scanners should read OBD2-specified codes.
2. Some scanners can read the remaining codes (body codes, communication codes, abs, airbag system, etc.).
3. An inexpensive OBD2 scanner should read some live engine data.
4. More advanced scanners can command the engine computer to open the idle control valve, evap valves, EGR, etc.
5. Another advanced feature is to program or upload data to the ECU. If you swap out a PCM, you probably have to do a idle relearn procedure. Program keys.

Schleprock 02-18-2019 03:10 PM

Thanks