Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   oil change = slight engine knock (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/oil-change-%3D-slight-engine-knock-59528/)

TexomaAccord 07-10-2014 12:22 PM

oil change = slight engine knock

I did an oil change and put in Quaker State 5w30, now I have a slight engine knock that speeds up under acceleration.
Also I cleaned the engine off with some degreaser.

New plugs, new wires, new ignition coil, new distributor cap

Frugalhondaguy 07-10-2014 02:40 PM

I don't know what year Accord you have, but my '00 uses 10w30 oil. What oil did you have it in before? Are we talking a knock or is it more like a lifter? Normally, if the noise increases with speed, it's a rod. I don't believe that you have that problem, because if it was it wouldn't be described as slight. When I saw the 5 weight, I was thinking that possibly the oil is too thin. Does the car idle smooth?

TexomaAccord 07-10-2014 05:31 PM

97 accord v6 automatic.. not sure what it had in it before, just bought it a month or 2 ago.. it does sound like a ticking/tapping
yes it idles great

Frugalhondaguy 07-10-2014 05:59 PM

You probably need a valve adjustment.

UhOh 07-10-2014 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaAccord (Post 347960)
I did an oil change and put in Quaker State 5w30, now I have a slight engine knock that speeds up under acceleration.

you did a change and got an unwelcome side symptom. So always undo the change.

Despite 5w-30 being the standard oil recommendation in North America - Texoma, TX in summer it so continuously hot that I'd consider more viscous oil in the undo-change.

Example, yesterday I just drained and filled enough to make my oil 50% 10w-40 in my two Accords because of continuing 100+F forecast temps
with the rest of the summer still ahead. I don't want an argument, I'm just saying what I did - so I practice what I preach!

Oil brand. I had an unsettling experience with QS brand oil a long time ago and avoid it.

TexomaAccord 07-10-2014 06:48 PM

97 v6 -- can't adjust valves

What brand of oil do you use UhOh?

Frugalhondaguy 07-10-2014 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaAccord (Post 347983)
97 v6 -- can't adjust valves

I saw that after I mentioned it. I checked for the procedure to send to you, but found out they are not adjustable.

My Accord is a '00 4 cylinder. I have been using Castrol GTX 10w30. As UhOh mentioned there were some problems with QS several years ago, but they have supposedly worked it out. I've been using Castrol for years, dino and synthetic, never any problems with noisy tappets.

UhOh 07-11-2014 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by TexomaAccord (Post 347983)

I've had good enough results with Chevron, Texaco, Valvoline, Castrol, Shell.
Listed in no particular order.

I've also had bad results switching to "synthetic" and "high mileage" oil when the engine seals and gaskets are used to plain jane oil.
One thing you could consider is calling the prior owner and asking him what kind of oil he used in the car.
<Older cars with miles ... you don't want to experiment. Been there, done that.>

jroxz44 07-11-2014 07:48 AM

What kind of filter did you get. Sometimes cheap filters in my 95 will make the valves tap. I switched to the most expensive filter I could find. K&N

TexomaAccord 07-11-2014 10:17 AM

fram I believe