General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Accord EX Coolant leak on funky screw on back of engine with pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation 1994 Accord EX Coolant leak on funky screw on back of engine with pictures.

On the back of the engine looking from the drivers side behind the wheel, there is a coolant leak on a weird look screw. With a little rubber square beneath the screw. Here is some pictures:
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t...arawayshot.jpg

Zoomed up shot:
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t...in/zoom_up.jpg

Was just wondering if anyone knew what it was? And if its a easy fix? Thanks.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

That hole is probably the weep hole for the water pump. The leak might be coming from the other side where the metal pipe goes to the thermostat.

Most likely the water pump is on its way out. When are you due for a timing belt change?

Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PAhonda
That hole is probably the weep hole for the water pump. The leak might be coming from the other side where the metal pipe goes to the thermostat.

Most likely the water pump is on its way out. When are you due for a timing belt change?
+1 Yep.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 Accord EX Coolant leak on funky screw on back of engine with pictures.-water-pump.jpg  
Old 05-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright... I've been needing to get my timing belt and water pump replaced about 10k ago.... I guess I really need to get it done. Thanks, so theres nothing right now I can do then other than get it done.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Replacing the TB and water pump will be the permanent fix. How many miles are on your car?

When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and make sure that the radiator is filled to the top. Also keep the overflow tank filled. Keep a close eye on the level.

You may want to keep a bottle of premixed coolant with you, incase you would run low on coolant. You could add coolant to the radiator to prevent your car from overheating and cause engine damage.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Has 190k on it right now, I will go out today, and check the coolant. As it says on my profile I'm in AZ so should I instead keep the overfill at around half filled so when the radiator heats up, it wont overfill the tank?

Old 05-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blubaustin
Has 190k on it right now, I will go out today, and check the coolant. As it says on my profile I'm in AZ so should I instead keep the overfill at around half filled so when the radiator heats up, it wont overfill the tank?
No, keep the reservoir at the max line, that way if the radiator coolant level drops due to leaking from the water pump bleed hole, the radiator gets extra from the reservoir.

Also, do the check of the radiator coolant level and reservoir coolant level when it is cool. When it is hot, due to the system being pressurized, the coolant level may go up or down in the reservoir depending on the conditions it is at.

Last edited by redbull-1; 05-12-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default thanks

Alright thanks. I'm going to get my timing belt done on the 18th its looking like. And thank you for being so helpful ^_^