General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Filter question

Old 08-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Default Oil Filter question

I am about to perform my first oil change on my 2013 Honda Accord Touring model (the first was done by the dealership). The owner's manual provides no part number for the required oil filter, however. I shopped on Amazon and found this model: 15400-PLM-A02, which Amazon assures me is the correct one. I'm not 100% on trusting Amazon about this, so if anyone knows if this is the correct one, I'd appreciate a thumbs up. Also, it got me to thinking about other filters, such as Fram, etc., which I've always used on past vehicles. I listened to a Honda spiel about the horrors of not using Honda filters, so I thought I just toss the question out--are Honda filters really made to more exacting requirements? TIA

Old 08-18-2016, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

That is the OEM part number. You can look up Honda part numbers on sites like hondapartsnow.com.

My rule of thumb is that you can never go wrong with the OEM honda parts. I'm sure that most aftermarket brands won't cause issues, but the build quality of the filter may vary.

There is a ton of information on the web where people disassemble and evaluate oil filters. I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on here. I typically stick with OEM for the filters. I've used the PureOne Purlator and Bosch filters available at the parts store too.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Purolator Pure-One number is PL 14610
Mobil-1 number is M1-110

I've used both of those, they're good.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:23 PM

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-19-2016, 04:16 PM

I had a gift card for a Honda dealership parts department, so I bought oil filters. The parts guy said Honda has used the same filter for all their engines since 1987.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Corvair
I had a gift card for a Honda dealership parts department, so I bought oil filters. The parts guy said Honda has used the same filter for all their engines since 1987.
Kinda explains why I saw no other models during my Google searches!

Old 08-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Just my opinion, only an opinion but any decent brand name filter will suite you just fine. I've bought from the Dealer, Frams from Wally Mart, Purilator (sp) etc, etc... Keep the oil changed when it calls or sooner and those filters shouldn't let you down. You'll find people who will argue/discuss oil and filter brands till the cows come home. In 35 (ish) years of driving I've never stressed out to much about the filter or oil brand just always bought a good known brand name of each, no oil related failures yet!

Old 08-21-2016, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dgp1961
Just my opinion, only an opinion but any decent brand name filter will suite you just fine. I've bought from the Dealer, Frams from Wally Mart, Purilator (sp) etc, etc... Keep the oil changed when it calls or sooner and those filters shouldn't let you down. You'll find people who will argue/discuss oil and filter brands till the cows come home. In 35 (ish) years of driving I've never stressed out to much about the filter or oil brand just always bought a good known brand name of each, no oil related failures yet!
Agreed, buy a name brand filter designed to fit your application and you'll be good to go; arguing about the differences is about as sensible as arguing the relative merits of spring water versus distilled water with minerals added back in.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shipo
Agreed, buy a name brand filter designed to fit your application and you'll be good to go; arguing about the differences is about as sensible as arguing the relative merits of spring water versus distilled water with minerals added back in.
, that I like.

Agree, change them when needed or sooner and regular checks of the oil level is the bottom line in my opinion.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

That's right, regular checking oil level & changing oil when it's needed is a lot more important than what brand of filter.

I had used brand-x for hundreds of thousands of miles on 4 or 5 different cars without any failures; before hearing the stories about how their internal construction is sloppy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filter question