General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

beautifully clean 87 dx manual fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Default beautifully clean 87 dx manual fuel pump problem

OK so i don't listen to my own advice and didn't run a capacitor while ruing 2 ten inch subs... so i blew my alternator... it sat in my garage for about 16 months and got sponge baths while i stared at my shinny unmovable car... replaced the alternator and HEY it's not starting... so i replaced the fuel pump cause i could hear it wasn't Turing on with the acc.key possition... the my friend who put it in says it's running but still no fuel is getting to the engen... so he thought he wired it back wards and told me to get under there drop everything again and switch the wires in the first accessible place... i did so... and now the pump wont even turn on in the acc. key position.... so i stopped touchingthe damn car so i wontEph it up aymore.... and the dude thats supposed to be helping me is totallyflaking on me... and she (the accord) is so close to running it hurts.... please can anyone give me some insight or a web site that may help.... in desperate need

Old 03-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Default RE: beautifuly clean 87 dx manual fuel pump problem

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the issues, I know your pain, I just went through something similar with my 81 civic.... First things first, since I can't edit that post could you please remove the profanity from it?

Now, The first thing I would do is check your fuses, then turn the key to the on position and see if you are getting power to the fuel pump, also make sure the fuel lines are connected properly to ensure proper fuel flow, if you have power back there, disconnect the outlet hose (going to the front of the car) and turn the key on, if it sprays fuel then you know the pump is fine, if not then we'll deal with that later.... If all your fuses are fine, and no power then locate your main relay/fuel pump cutoff and see if it's getting power from the ignition...

Old 03-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Default RE: beautifully clean 87 dx manual fuel pump problem

ok... i cleaned up my message ad my frustration wot be expressed in explitives.... well i just ran into another problem.... my battery has been shot by the cold.... so i can't even trouble shoot right now... but i reallywant tothank you for the for this advice....i'll repost as so as it's charged or replaced

Old 03-05-2007, 07:24 PM

thanks for cleaning that up.... get a charger on that battery and you should be able to at least troubleshoot with the charger on there.... let us know how it goes (hopefully it doesn't take another 16 months to get to it *L*)

Old 03-05-2007, 07:30 PM

fuses and relays are good... god i hope it dot take aother 16 months.... i need working in two weeks

Old 03-05-2007, 07:54 PM

run those tests and let us know what the results are

Old 03-06-2007, 01:14 AM

battery on charge at auto zone... will run tests and up-date tomorrow... thank you again for thehelp

Old 03-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

.... First things first, since I can't edit that post could you please remove the profanity from it?
Yo Nasty why cannot you edit the post ???

if car has been sitting for 16 months you have some bad gas,, i would drain the fuel tank, install some new gasoline,, also to see if you are getting gas at carb inlet hoe,, remove the hose from the carb and have someone crank the engine,, put a can under the hose so gas if it comes out will not go all over the place ,, if no gas comes out, either pump not working or possible plugged fuel filter the one by the fuel tank..
if fuel comes out take a good look at it .. see if it looks normal or looks and smells like terpantine ..
let us know

Old 03-06-2007, 01:30 PM

definitly bad gas.... when i replaced the fuel pump (the one inside the tank) i cleaned out all bad gas... ad swished some rubbbig aclohol to get rid of any rusti couldn't see. and other then the dirty gas it was a very clean tank....but that was before i rewired it... plus yesterday when i disasembled the gas tank again... there was new fuel up to the fuel line, right utill the line goes back into the frame of the car...(you know at the swishy fuel line plug)so now im thinking that it was working the whole time.... but that line from the frame up(to the engin) is cloged some where.... and being in-side the frame, is there any way i can pressure the line and sqweez it out??? or will that cause the old line to POP like a balloonn??

Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 PM

oh and with the presure i was getting fuel wasnn't even makin it out throught the firewall... so some where between the fire wall and the spot it comes out of the frameis where it is clogged... im sure thats my problem now.... i just eed to know i safe cheap way of unclogging that line...any one have a good idea??? plus i installed a after market fuel filter whe the car was runig 16 months ago.... it's a cheap clear plastic feul filter, ad was put in the lie as soon as it leaves thefire wall....was this a good idea or bad idea to put another filter on the line???

Quick Reply: beautifully clean 87 dx manual fuel pump problem