Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Oil Pressure Indicator Light Issue (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/oil-pressure-indicator-light-issue-66508/)

hmr 02-19-2019 05:09 PM

Oil Pressure Indicator Light Issue

I own a 2000 Honda Accord EX sedan, A/T, 4 cylinder. Recently my oil pressure indicator light started flickering when I would come to a stop. My mechanic diagnosed the problem as a bad oil pressure switch and replaced it. The oil pump checked out fine. Road tested the car and the oil pressure indicator light still flickered as described above. He cleaned the connection and road tested again. No change. Still flickering at a stop. The mechanic says that the only remedy left is to try a thicker oil. Do you agree ? Thanks much for any input.

UhOh 02-19-2019 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by hmr (Post 384209)
Still flickering at a stop. The mechanic says that the only remedy left is to try a thicker oil. Do you agree ?

No.
From long ago I tried to beef up the oil pressure on an old Triumph TR-3 (which had actual oil pressure gauge)
by going to higher viscosity oil - did not work. I kept driving it with low oil pressure and it continued to work.

Perspective: you've an old car, like mine. As long as you have enough oil volume, by the dipstick, and an operating oil pump
you won't have a problem that's worth addressing vs. the value of your car. So:
1) get some black electricians' tape and cover up the warning light, since it understandably bothers you
2) check and top off the oil every 1000 miles, or whatever interval you choose.

Drive it and don't sweat it. (Can always join AAA)

shipo 02-19-2019 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by hmr (Post 384209)
I own a 2000 Honda Accord EX sedan, A/T, 4 cylinder. Recently my oil pressure indicator light started flickering when I would come to a stop. My mechanic diagnosed the problem as a bad oil pressure switch and replaced it. The oil pump checked out fine. Road tested the car and the oil pressure indicator light still flickered as described above. He cleaned the connection and road tested again. No change. Still flickering at a stop. The mechanic says that the only remedy left is to try a thicker oil. Do you agree ? Thanks much for any input.

Sounds like a loose bottom end. Keep oil in it and drive'er till she drops. I had a car many years ago with loose bearings and drove it nearly 100,000 miles with a flickering oil pressure light when at idle.

PAhonda 02-19-2019 08:27 PM

Did your mechanic test the oil pressure with the switch removed? If the pressure is good, then you have an electrical issue somewhere between the oil pressure switch and the gauge cluster.

The Toecutter 02-20-2019 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 384216)
Did you mechanic test the oil pressure with the switch removed? If the pressure is good, then you have an electrical issue somewhere between the oil pressure switch and the gauge cluster.

That was kind of my thought as well, or a pressure switch set to come on at the wrong oil pressure (I've had that happen before).

ticktock 02-24-2019 10:26 PM

Hi hmr,
Three years ago, my 92 Accord had the same thing: flickering oil pressure when stop. If shifted to N, the flickering stopped. If not after a minute or two, the flickering became solid on. I replaced the oil pressure with no luck. Brought it to the shop and the mechanic said it was internal leak due to some bad gaskets. He replaced them and the flickering was gone.
Ted

hmr 02-28-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh (Post 384210)
No.
From long ago I tried to beef up the oil pressure on an old Triumph TR-3 (which had actual oil pressure gauge)
by going to higher viscosity oil - did not work. I kept driving it with low oil pressure and it continued to work.

Perspective: you've an old car, like mine. As long as you have enough oil volume, by the dipstick, and an operating oil pump
you won't have a problem that's worth addressing vs. the value of your car. So:
1) get some black electricians' tape and cover up the warning light, since it understandably bothers you
2) check and top off the oil every 1000 miles, or whatever interval you choose.

Drive it and don't sweat it. (Can always join AAA)

The mechanic wanted to try a thicker engine oil. So, he went with conventional oil 10W/30. No engine oil light flicker at idle around town and short drives. BUT, on a longer, freeway speeds, trip the light will eventually start flickering at idle. I guess that the engine clearances in this older car aren't as tight as with a newer car. So, I guess nothing to do but ignore it as long as the light only flickers as I have described here ?

The Toecutter 02-28-2019 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by hmr (Post 384334)
The mechanic wanted to try a thicker engine oil. So, he went with conventional oil 10W/30. No engine oil light flicker at idle around town and short drives. BUT, on a longer, freeway speeds, trip the light will eventually start flickering at idle. I guess that the engine clearances in this older car aren't as tight as with a newer car. So, I guess nothing to do but ignore it as long as the light only flickers as I have described here ?

My wife's 00 Accord AT has been using 10W30 ever since we've had it (Nov 2015), and no issues at 239K miles. In my 99 Accord w/5 speed (238K miles), I run 10W40 in it, as I use that weight in my Toyota, my Chevy van, and my VWs. No issues in any of them, but I change the oil every 3K miles (uses dino oil).

hmr 02-28-2019 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter (Post 384338)
My wife's 00 Accord AT has been using 10W30 ever since we've had it (Nov 2015), and no issues at 239K miles. In my 99 Accord w/5 speed (238K miles), I run 10W40 in it, as I use that weight in my Toyota, my Chevy van, and my VWs. No issues in any of them, but I change the oil every 3K miles (uses dino oil).

I took a trip today. Approx. 24 miles to my destination, then parked the car for approx. 1 1/2 hours, then another approx. 24 miles to return home. Mostly freeway driving. On the way back home the light started flickering at a couple of stop signs. When I shift into neutral while at the stop sign. I noticed that the RPMs drop slightly as I shift to neutral and the light flickers.

shipo 02-28-2019 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by hmr (Post 384340)
I took a trip today. Approx. 24 miles to my destination, then parked the car for approx. 1 1/2 hours, then another approx. 24 miles to return home. Mostly freeway driving. On the way back home the light started flickering at a couple of stop signs. When I shift into neutral while at the stop sign. I noticed that the RPMs drop slightly as I shift to neutral and the light flickers.

What you describe is totally expected for your engine.