General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dash lights are not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Dash lights are not working

Hi, my 3rd gen honda dashboard lights is not working. I checked the dimmer switch and no changes occured. Does the 3rd gen have a fuse for the dash lights ? The fuse box does not locate any for the dash lights. Any ideas ??

TIA
les

Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

What trim level is your 3rd gen? Also, there were a few "mid gen" changes.....meaning the 86-87 might have one set up vs. the 88-89....so can you give the exact year?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Mine is an 86 DX with good 'ol carb. It could not be the sofisticated model as this guy still has the manual crank window regulators.... real bare model

Old 05-06-2015, 11:14 AM

Yes there is a fuse. First get a test light and check all the fuses with the key in the ON position. To do this you simply ground the test light, confirm that it has good ground, and touch each side of the little metal piece on the top of each fuse. No fuses have to be removed for this. If a fuse terminal lights up on both sides then the fuse is good, if a fuse lights up on only one terminal and not the other then the fuse is bad, if the fuse does not light up on either terminal then it is either good and not powered at the time, or if it should be powered and does not light up on either side means there is a power supply issue. Sorry for such a long explanation. The other thing I would check is the dimmer switch. Pop the switch and check for continuity through the switch. If there is no continuity through the switch with it on then the switch is bad and you can either get a new one, or leave it out and jump across the main terminal. If the switch is fine check for power to one of the terminals on the main harness with your test light. If there is no power to the terminals and all the fuses check out fine then there is a break or false ground some where in the system between the fuse and the dimmer switch. If there is power to the dimmer switch and the switch checks out fine then there is either a power supply issue to the gauge cluster, there is a problem with the gauge cluster, or potentially all the bulbs failed at the same time (least likely).

That might be my longest explanation/post ever. Hope this give you a baseline for diagonistics!

Old 05-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks turtlehead. That was quite an elaborate "service manual-like" description and a honestly appreciate that. i will attend to that this weekend when i get my hands dirty.

Have a good one !