General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Thank you all for your help. Need more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Default Thank you all for your help. Need more.

Hello all. Just wanted to thank you all for your help in diagnosing and helping fix some issues with 1992 honda accord. I replaced my distributor and the loss of power has subsided.

The transmission issue remains. The issue began about a week after purchasing my vehicle. I got curious about the other drives on my automatic tranny and began switching back and forth between them to see the difference. After this I began to experience hard shifting. I really noticed it when I would switch from park to reverse. 1ST AND 2ND gear take way to long to shift and will shift much quicker if i take my foot off the gas. I also, notice a high pitch buzz/whine when accelerating in first and second but not in the higher gears. I get an occasion slip if I accelerate to quickly while in 2nd after having taken my foot off the gas.

Ok, so what am I looking at here? I did get a code 15 when I did a paperclip trick, which indicates a vehicle speed sensor. I since reset the computer and have yet to receive this or any other code yet. Can a vehicle speed sensor really cause this mess? The speedometer works fine. I have read on various forums that there are two different speed sensors. One on the tranny and 1 somewhere else.

I this likely an ECU issue as this is a known problem with these vehicles? If I purchase a new ecu will I need to take it to the factory to have codes put on?

Is my tranny toast and should I just scrap the car. I do not want to sink a ton of money into this thing. The sensors, selonoids and ECU'S I am willing to do, but I would like to narrow things down. I have read that a fauly ECU will spit out faulty codes.

One very important note. On some models of the Honda Accord a code 15 on the D4 is a kickdown switch short circuit. I own a Honda Accord DX. The information just said "some models" but did not specify which. The kickdown switch sounds likely considering that I was switching drives while driving. I may have overloaded it.

Anyways, what is my problem

1. speed sensor-If so, which one?

2. shift selonoids?

3. TCU?

4. KICKDOWN SWITCH?

5. I destroyed my tranny?

The distributor was really the first car repair I have ever done and it felt great to be able to use this resource to self diagnose and do my own work and avoid getting ripped off. Thank you all again and I appreciate any further help.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

I'd start with checking the trans fluid - if you are not sure when it was last changed, change it.

Next, check the throttle control cable - it runs from the TB to the trans. Make sure it has the proper movement/adjustment.