General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Proper Transmission fluid check procedure?

Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Default Proper Transmission fluid check procedure?

I'm reading 2 different instructions, and considering how important correct fluid type and amount is for these cars, I would think that there should be some kind of "specific" procedure. I mean, when you're cooking food, specifics are extremely important (if you want it to turn out "right").

Doesn't the same apply here? I would think so, since our transmissions are surely more important than any one meal........

1st is from OEM Owner's Manual:

"Check the fluid level with the engine at normal operating temperature.
1. Park car on level ground. Shut off engine.
2. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) from the transmission and wipe it with a clean cloth.
3. Insert the dipstick all the way into the transmission securely as shown in the illustration 'all the way in'.
4. Remove the dipstick and check the fluid level. It should be between the upper and lower marks......."

2nd is from Honda Factory Service Manual:

"Ensure vehicle is on level surface and at normal operating temperature. Turn engine off. Within one minute
after turning engine off, remove transaxle dipstick and wipe it clean. Re-insert dipstick into filler hole or
dipstick tube and check fluid level. Fluid level should be between upper and lower marks on dipstick."

Question is about "proper" time to wait after engine shut-off to check fluid level. Like oil level checks, its important to allow fluid to flow down, collect, and reach total level to be checked, but not so that it cools. I get that, but how can the actual Honda Owner's Manual not specify a time-frame like the service manual does?

Yesterday I waited 5-7 mins, and it was at the TOP of the range on the dipstick. Today, I followed the Factory Service Manual and checked after about 45 seconds and the dipstick was dry.....after 3 repeated checks. Added 1/2 qt. Honda fluid, it showed at bottom of dipstick after 15 minute run and repeated check, but not even near middle of proper range.

What am I missing? What is the proper time to wait to check the transmission fluid level after shutting off engine? This isn't MY GAME, it's Honda's. Can anyone please extrapolate and specify? Just wanna get it right, and I hope specific instructions are as important as specific requirements as dictated by Honda Corp (the same company that never admitted to a notable problem with SO MANY similar year and model transmissions, even after paying out SO MUCH MONEY.......)

So, on my own, you better believe that I'm gonna be picky and particular:
What is the best time to wait to check the transmission fluid level after engine cut-off, so that you can get the best, proper estimate of required transmission fluid in the transmission case as is required ????

Thank You!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Temp of ATF will not change that fast. You can wait longer than 1 minute. You can check cold, but recognize that fluid level will rise perhaps 1/8-inch due to heating.

good luck

Old 05-10-2013, 07:43 AM

My service manual says "within 60-90 seconds after turning the engine off". I will usually insert the dry dipstick at 60 seconds. The service manual is always more detailed about everything than the owner's manual. My dipstick reading doesn't seem to change much at all whether I check it hot or cold.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 AM

Thank you very much. Both responses sound good and make sense. I'm doing the best I can to delay an eventual transmission overhaul related to shifting problems which I won't go into here. What a PITA......other than that, car is a cream puff.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

When I had an automatic (98 Accord 4-cyl) it hardly made any difference at all. I would check it hot, when I probably took me a minute or so to get out, open the hood, find a rag to wipe off the dipstick, then check it.

Then I'd check it in the morning when it's been parked all night long, and it was nearly the same level on the dipstick. So I gave up on worrying about how many seconds since I turned it off.

You're way better than a lot of people who don't even know where the transmission dipstick is located.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:56 PM

After I got car back from final tranny rebuild fix, the fluid level seems to be way too high. When shop owner called for a follow-up check, I told him so, and of course he said "That's not good...it could blow a seal (just as it did before), check it again and let me know. We have a machine that can lower the levels evenly." I told him I could easily drain some out to level it myself, and I definitely don't want him touching the car, now that its finally "fixed".

So my question is, does anyone have an estimate of about how much I should drain, by looking at the following diagram of where the level sits now, cold, after sitting all night in the driveway. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Proper Transmission fluid check procedure?-dipstick.gif  
Old 06-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would start w/ 1 pt and see how much it lowers. I think you might need a couple of pints removed.

If you have a tube, you can rig a siphon to remove small amount through the filler opening, although slowly. It may be easier than lifting to drain. While lifted you can't get an accurate reading on dipstick.

good luck

Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 PM

Thank you TexasHonda. Great idea. I bet I can use the manual pump and tubing I have with a brake fluid setup. It has never been used, so it's clean. I will start with 1 pint, then drive a bit to level out, since as I understand it, the converter level won't drop during the draining process, but only after driving through all gears a bit......right?

Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 PM

That worked great! After removing about 8-9/10ths of a pint, and driving around neighborhood through all gears including reverse more than several times, it's now checking perfectly just inside the top of the hex-marked fill zone. Thanks a bunch.