Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   P1456 Engine light issues (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/p1456-engine-light-issues-46943/)

Cayrayman 04-17-2012 10:10 PM

P1456 Engine light issues

I just bought a 98 ACCORD LX 4cyl v-tec 2.3 80,000 miles. Check engine light came on, diagnosed it and came up with P1456. Changed gas cap, after I went through the drive cycle it went off. Though my problems were over, nope. About 2 weeks later I noticed that I was pretty much completely out of gas and was just waiting for the gas light to come on. Instead the check engine light came on again. Checked it and came up with the same code P1456. I filled it up and hoped it would turn off after drive cycle and it didn't... And yes I made sure I tighten the gas cap with at least 3 clicks. I've noticed a slight smell of gas when pulling into the garage as well. What could it be??? Thanks for reading and I hope you can offer some good suggestions. Justin Phx AZ

PAhonda 04-18-2012 12:19 AM

P1456 means that something is not sealed in your gas tank or the EVAP system. Try to find where the smell of gasoline is coming from. A general area would help (engine bay, gas cap, rear of the car, or near the driver's side rear tire).

Then you will have an idea of where to find the leak.

The other option is to take the car to a shop and have them do a smoke test to find the leak.

Cayrayman 04-18-2012 12:55 AM

Hey

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 277696)
P1456 means that something is not sealed in your gas tank or the EVAP system. Try to find where the smell of gasoline is coming from. A general area would help (engine bay, gas cap, rear of the car, or near the driver's side rear tire).

Then you will have an idea of where to find the leak.

The other option is to take the car to a shop and have them do a smoke test to find the leak.

Thanks for the reply...
Yeah, probably would have helped to mention that the smell is coming from the rear drivers side tire. I put my nose directly on the gas cap area and don't really smell that fresh gas smell. Smell seems to be coming below the car under rear driver side tire. Could it be the purge valve solenoid??? Would that give off a gas smell if there was something wrong with it? I understand its the EVAP system, guess I'm just trying to avoid the smoke test if it's something I could ezly replace. Money's pretty tight these days :-\

JimBlake 04-18-2012 08:27 AM

Not the EVAP purge valve - that's located on the intake manifold.

There's the EVAP canister itself and a couple valves & several hoses. But most of that would throw P1457 (EVAP leak in canister system).

P1456 means your fuel tank isn't airtight. Gas cap is just the only thing that's easy for anyone to check & replace. There's a couple lines alongside the fill pipe, maybe rotted or pinched or ??? I think you remove a shrould/cover located in the left-rear wheel well to look at those.

Worst case would be stuff at the TOP of the fuel tank. There's flanges for access to the fuel pump, etc, and I think maybe the tank has to be lowered out of the car for those. Some earlier years have a round 3-bolt hatch in the trunk floor or under the rear seat, but I think 1998 doesn't have that.

crispin 04-18-2012 08:57 AM

My buddy has a 99 Accord and he was able to change his fuel pump without dropping the tank.
I would remove the access panel from the trunk and take a look.

JimBlake 04-18-2012 09:07 AM

If you can get to the top of the tank itself, then you're looking for a round plate with a ring of bolts.

Rubber gasket might be cracked & leaking??
Look for any rubber hoses old & cracked??
ANYTHING that might not be airtight.

If the tank were leaking at a lower elevation, you'd probably have a puddle of gasoline below your car.

PAhonda 04-18-2012 12:32 PM

I would look at the lines going to the evap canister and the evap canister as well. If a line is broken, then your components in the evap system will technically work, but the system will still have a leak.

The evap cannister and various valves are under the car near the driver's-rear tire.

Cayrayman 04-18-2012 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 277720)
Not the EVAP purge valve - that's located on the intake manifold.

There's the EVAP canister itself and a couple valves & several hoses. But most of that would throw P1457 (EVAP leak in canister system).

P1456 means your fuel tank isn't airtight. Gas cap is just the only thing that's easy for anyone to check & replace. There's a couple lines alongside the fill pipe, maybe rotted or pinched or ??? I think you remove a shrould/cover located in the left-rear wheel well to look at those.

Worst case would be stuff at the TOP of the fuel tank. There's flanges for access to the fuel pump, etc, and I think maybe the tank has to be lowered out of the car for those. Some earlier years have a round 3-bolt hatch in the trunk floor or under the rear seat, but I think 1998 doesn't have that.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into that when I get some free time.

Cayrayman 04-18-2012 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 277727)
If you can get to the top of the tank itself, then you're looking for a round plate with a ring of bolts.

Rubber gasket might be cracked & leaking??
Look for any rubber hoses old & cracked??
ANYTHING that might not be airtight.

If the tank were leaking at a lower elevation, you'd probably have a puddle of gasoline below your car.

Very interesting, I'll most definitely try that out for sure. Thanks for the advice!

Cayrayman 04-18-2012 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 277739)
I would look at the lines going to the evap canister and the evap canister as well. If a line is broken, then your components in the evap system will technically work, but the system will still have a leak.

The evap cannister and various valves are under the car near the driver's-rear tire.

Thanks for the advice aswell!