General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mystery coolant leak and overheat clue...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default mystery coolant leak and overheat clue...

If anyone has weird overheat issues or coolant loss without seeing where its leaving from, here is a story.

Last month 91 accord 186k overheated. A chain fix it shop was right there what else to do but pull in and cool down. Picked it up at the end of the day.
Oh well just a heater hose. Last weekend dropped in new rad, t-stat, gaskets at the t-stat and "D" gasket at outlet.... Im driving to work with
confidence and I look down pinned on HOT!!!! What did I do I thought.
Pull off at a farm stand pop hood look at my work
, coolant every where, farm stand man
comes out "Ill call you a tow but that 's the only reason Im out here, cause your blocking my drive way..."
"No " I said" I'll be alright"

I go down the road to Cumbies for a closer inspec. and water. Guess
what I find a CLAMPLESS!!!! disconnected heater hose near the t-stat! Those damn people I
thought.... ARGH! Well, Turns out clamp was on the barb, hose popped
off. The old factory clamp was on a new hose. What's the price of a clamp? And my wire connections above it were off the holders one was busted...
So if any one has mystery leaks I would look there. The spring tension has lessened next to one of the hottest engine components, hiding under the distrib. waiting to pop. I used a worm gear clamp and water to get me home.....

Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
I'll move this to General Tech where more people will see it especially when they're looking for answers.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you got it....I would check the rest of the hoses. I'd also suggest bleeding the coolant to be sure there isn't any trapped air.....trapped air can cause issues.