General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Parking brake adjuster just keeps spinning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 03:06 PM
Default Parking brake adjuster just keeps spinning?

Sorry if this is not in the right section as I just registered but im a little stumped here. Im no mechanic by any means but im pretty competent if pointed in the right direction so big thanks in advance.

I took my car to get inspected today but it wouldnt pass because the parking brake didnt hold. I assumed I would just need to adjust the parking brake so I removed the back of the console and attempted to do it but its giving me some trouble. If I do not engage the parking brake and try to adjust it then the adjuster just freely spins without tightening. If I engage the parking brake like your supposed to and try to adjust the moment I remove the wrench the adjuster self turns back to where it was previously resting. My brake shoes are fairly new at about 6 months old so I dont believe thats the problem as I have probably put about 6k miles on the car since changing them. I have been searching google for the last 4 hours but im having no luck.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Is the cable broken or disconnected back at the rear wheels?

Saying that it unwinds itself when you let go of the wrench makes me wonder if the adjuster nut is seized to the end of it's cable. When you turn the wrench you aren't really adjusting the nut but you're just twisting the cable - which then twists right back where it was.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Year, make, model, and engine would help us offer a more informed opinion/suggestion.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Is the cable broken or disconnected back at the rear wheels?

Saying that it unwinds itself when you let go of the wrench makes me wonder if the adjuster nut is seized to the end of it's cable. When you turn the wrench you aren't really adjusting the nut but you're just twisting the cable - which then twists right back where it was.
The cable doesnt appear to be broken in the console but I will have to jack the car up to check behind the wheels. Would I have to take the wheels off or would it be visible just from looking behind them?

Originally Posted by shipo
Year, make, model, and engine would help us offer a more informed opinion/suggestion.
Very sorry its a 2002 accord SE 2.3L 4-cylinder

Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM

The emergency brake is connected to both shoes in the back. the brake shoes are also fairly new so I know that is not the problem. I did notice that the adjuster hangs freely and can move around until I engage the hand brake but im not sure if that is normal. I think its the adjuster anyway so I attached an image. Dont mind how disgusting it looks the car was pretty nasty when I bought it I just never thought to look under the console when cleaning it out.

Also when I was checking it out today I noticed the emergency brake wasnt in the holder? behind the brake shoe so I had to disconnect it and run it through where its supposed to sit. I curiously pulled the handbrake while it was disconnected from the shoe and the cable pulled into the car some but it doesnt seem to do anything when connected to the brake shoe itself.