General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:58 AM
Question Please help

I bought my 1991 Honda Accord LX in September 2013 I have kept up all maintenance I have taken very good care of him. But two weeks ago I stopped to put air in my tire and when I started the car to continue driving it sounded like it was gonna stall out Well I had two compression tests done on it and my first cylinder is only a 50 and well not even working pretty much. The first test the person told me it sounded like my valves maybe I had one burnt out but then I had a second test done by someone that actually knows pretty much everything about a Honda... he said im gonna need a rebuild which im cool with and all but I need manuals and maybe some suggestions where I can get my parts I need from because at my local auto part store things are outrageous. So if someone could give me some tips or sites to go to i would so appreciate it.
I'm having to make this rebuild a DYI due to my hrs at work being cut and this is my only transportation at the moment.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

So you think the head is okay its the bottom end that has failed?

I personally would buy OEM honda rings, bearings, etc. A lot depends on what condition the cylinder walls are though.

Considered buying a used engine out of a junkyard? F22s can be had for less than $300 a lot of times and often come with 90 day warranties.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

I'm curious, what makes the second person say the issue is with the bottom end and not the head?

Something doesn't sound right here.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:24 PM

Normally if its the head I would prolly have some over heating issues but im not having that also im not loosing any oil. we started my car and pulled the first plug out and the car didnt stall out but when we pulled the other three plugs out one by one the car died everytime. Also the person that looked at my car the second time is very good with hondas and I do trust him.
Whenever I am sitting still and I have the car in drive it shakes really bad kinda feels like the car is gonna shake apart. From what I have read on other sites it sounds like I may have a crapped out piston ring. But do to my car being 22 yrs old and I am very sure how well the car was treated by a prevous owners I dont mind the rebuild. But I have also heard it could be the valves or even a vaccum hose but honestly im not sure.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jessie Marie-Lynn Hurt
Normally if its the head I would prolly have some over heating issues but im not having that also im not loosing any oil. we started my car and pulled the first plug out and the car didnt stall out but when we pulled the other three plugs out one by one the car died everytime. Also the person that looked at my car the second time is very good with hondas and I do trust him.
Whenever I am sitting still and I have the car in drive it shakes really bad kinda feels like the car is gonna shake apart. From what I have read on other sites it sounds like I may have a crapped out piston ring. But do to my car being 22 yrs old and I am very sure how well the car was treated by a prevous owners I dont mind the rebuild. But I have also heard it could be the valves or even a vaccum hose but honestly im not sure.
Valve issues are head based and will in no way, shape, or form cause overheating. That your car isn't using any oil just makes for an even stronger case that you're problems are in the head and not the lower end. Were I in your shoes there is no way I'd even think about tearing down the block until a cylinder leak down test indicates otherwise.

Long story short, I'm betting three to one odds the issue is in the head.

Last edited by shipo; 01-27-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Agree w/ Shipo that your problems are likely in top end of engine, burnt valve or failed head gasket.

Not to be rude, but your comments and questions suggest you have done very little diy work. To start your diy learning w/ an engine overhaul is a recipe for problems. Even a head gasket replacement is a challenging diy project for a first-timer.

Don't start a project you're not sure you can finish!

good luck

Old 01-27-2014, 03:20 PM

Well I do have someone that knows what they are doing i just wanted to have a manual to look at.
So where can i get this test done at?

Old 01-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jessie Marie-Lynn Hurt
Well I do have someone that knows what they are doing i just wanted to have a manual to look at.
So where can i get this test done at?
Not to be a jerk, but I am strongly suspecting the person who "knows what they are doing," uhhh, for lack of a better word, doesn't.

Long story short, it sounds like you need to have a leak down test to prove one way or another whether it is the head or the block.

As for a manual, you can buy a Honda Shop Manual for your 1991 Accord from lots of places; I just saw one on eBay for $59.95. You can also buy non Honda manuals typically for $25.

Edit:
Oops, forgot to answer your question about a leak-down test. Most aviation mechanics are very familiar with this type of test and can either A) do it for you, or B) usually know who or whom to refer you to. I typically call the FBO (Fixed Base Operator) at a local small airport and ask.

Last edited by shipo; 01-27-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Another thing to consider is a used engine; if either the head or the lower end proves to be in bad shape, there should be literally thousands of engines in good shape for 1991 Accords located all over the country. Before fussing with an overhaul, I'd be much more inclined to buy a good used motor from a bone yard and put it in your car.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you recheck with adding oil to the low cylinder does the reading go up. If not it is a head problem.

Quick Reply: Please help