Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP!!! I'm desperate!!! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/please-help-im-desperate-8817/)

suprarx7nut 04-09-2007 11:07 PM

PLEASE HELP!!! I'm desperate!!!

My 91 Accord is fine until the engine warms up. Then when the engine speed comes down into idle,it drops to about 100. Sometimes the car stalls. After it falls to 100 RPM, it slowly rises back up to its normal idle(700-800) RPM.

It has stalled while I'm brakingafter I take it out of gear.

I took it in a month ago and they said my timing was just off. This fixed the problem for a while, but now its back!
Why would my ignition timing be off again?!

NOT SAFE!!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I work tomorrow afternoon so I have until then to try to fix this dangerous problem.

deserthonda 04-10-2007 11:09 AM

RE: PLEASE HELP!!! I'm desperate!!!

I would start by cleaning out the throttle body..... any codes ??
If the timing belt is loose it could jump .... chk timing to make sure it is still ok,

suprarx7nut 04-10-2007 05:09 PM

Timing belt was just replaced and I don't get any codes. I do occasionally get a speed sensor code and my speedo will cut out, but that seems to happen completely independently.

Shadow1992 04-10-2007 05:19 PM

have you checked and adjusted your throttle cable? if it's too slack it could be allowing your throttle body to completely close.

suprarx7nut 04-10-2007 05:58 PM

How could I adjust that? I'll go look at it now, but I won't really know exactly what I'm doing.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate your help. I'm a working college student and it sure beats paying a mechanic 100/hr to try to find problems in my car that MIGHT fix it.

suprarx7nut 04-10-2007 06:12 PM

Holy crap!

I just moved the cable further away from the throttle(tightened it to remove slack) and it worked!

It's fixed for now, i guess.

I'll let you guys know if the problem returns.

THANK YOU SHADOW!!!!

hondadude 04-10-2007 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1992

have you checked and adjusted your throttle cable? if it's too slack it could be allowing your throttle body to completely close.
Ooops, there is supposed to be a littleslack in the throttle cable. tightening the throttle cable is not the way to adjust idle speed.
The OP needs to check the IAC to be sure it is functioning.

suprarx7nut 04-11-2007 02:19 AM

Ya, its still acting funny. It doesn't stall now, but its not quite right.

How do I check the IAC? I can't find it in my Chilton's manual.