Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Power steering hose tepairs? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/power-steering-hose-tepairs-56857/)

mtill58513 10-05-2013 06:58 PM

Power steering hose tepairs?

Is there a way to fix a leaking high pressure power steering hose? I've got one leaking at the crimp and saw that they cost approx 150 bucks. I did see some on eBay for about $50 but I would be a little eerie on one of those I think. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TexasHonda 10-05-2013 07:36 PM

I went through this a while back on my 03 MDX. In theory a hose repair on upper end is possible, however a "crimp in place" tool is necessary. I could find no one who would attempt a repair and tool cost for diy was prohibitive.

Replacing the HP hose is not trivial as access to lower end may require lowering subframe to access the rack and remove/install hose. I tried to work over the top of engine, and gave up, and used a dealer. It cost about $250 + hose. I dont remember what hose cost but it was over $100.

Given high labor content for this repair, I would stay w/ OEM hose. You certainly don't want to pay for two replacements.

good luck

mtill58513 10-05-2013 08:44 PM

Couldn't you just put it up on ramps to get to it? I haven't looked to see where the lower end goes.

redbull-1 10-05-2013 08:54 PM

It depends on the model year of car. Older Accords do not require messing with subframe.

What year Accord do you have? Also, is it 4 or 6 cylinder.

mtill58513 10-05-2013 09:33 PM

It's a 2000 6 cylinder. I can't complain much though. She's got just short of 200k miles and 14 yrs old. I bought it right off the truck.

mtill58513 10-06-2013 03:25 PM

It looks like I could access it from on top of the engine but I looked after driving it back from church so it's too hot to get in there and look real close yet. I'll try to give it a look see later and make sure.

TexasHonda 10-06-2013 04:11 PM

If it's like the Acura V6, the HP line is below the LP return. Even removing the LP return was not enough access. I needed to remove the LP male end fitting from rack to gain enough access. That's where I decided to stop. I was concerned about introducing dirt/grit into LP port.

good luck

mtill58513 10-06-2013 06:25 PM

So can anyone tell me if the subframe has to be dropped on a 2000 Accord V6? If so I've got to get the timing belt done in a week or so and may get the mechanic to just go ahead and do it. I tried to follow it and see where the hose went but low light and rain kept me from getting under the car to see what all was what.

redbull-1 10-06-2013 06:42 PM

No, you don't need to drop the subframe.

Here is a DIY:
Power Steering Hose Replacement - V6 - 6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums

mtill58513 10-06-2013 07:35 PM

OK. So how hard are we talking with say a jack and jack stands and no lift or anything like that? I found a couple on Rock Auto for $60-80. I tried to follow it like I said earlier but didn't see where the hose mated up. Is it worth it to do it myself or should I just let the mechanic get it when I do the timing belt. I'm guessing that would put my cost equal to what the dealer would have charged for the timing belt alone.