Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   proactive maintenance (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/proactive-maintenance-53007/)

chaibatus 02-14-2013 11:05 AM

proactive maintenance

I have around 2000030 miles on my 2000 Honda Accord V6. I am planning to do some proactive maintenance on my car soon.

1. Planning to replace ready to mount struts (front and rear). Please recommend me some best OEM replacement struts.
2. Planning to replace upper control arms along with upper ball joints.
3. Engine mounts (All)

Again, I am doing this just to have some peace of mind. Do you guys recommend any other suspension components to replace (tie rods etc..?). Please let me know what else do you recommend?

JimBlake 02-14-2013 11:51 AM

Inspect the lower ball joints and steering balljoints real good, they're just as old as the upper ones.

2 million miles, huh?? Whatever you're doing to your automatic transmission, keep doing it!

Assuming 200k miles, how about your 2nd timing-belt change? Spark plugs?

Not sure I'd do the engine mounts unless I saw the rubber rotting out. In any case, get a shop manual (download?). Because there's something about supporting the engine & tightening the mounts in specific order so they share the load properly. Possible issue is vibration.

chaibatus 02-14-2013 01:06 PM

Thanks for the advise, I recently replaced lower ball joints, timing belt, water pump, new OEM Honda recommended plugs, replaced the coolant, cleaned the throttle body, ivac and EGR valves. Replaced all the fluids with Honda recommended fluids and changed the engine oil with Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic oil with Mobil 1 filter. You are correct, original mileage on the car is 200,030.

JimBlake 02-14-2013 08:48 PM

Well, you're ahead of me on most of that stuff.

I also thought about taking a real good look at the rubber boots for the axle CV joints. Look for the rubber to begin surface cracks that don't go all the way through. Obviously if they're cracked through, it's too late but sometimes you can see the cracks starting before they split open.

What's ivac? You mean IACV?

How does it run? Any complaints?

How are the brakes? There's no schedule, but I'll guess you've alredy replaced the pads. Ever clean/lube the caliper slide pins?

chaibatus 02-15-2013 06:51 AM

Thanks again for the advise. I have not looked in to rubber boots for the axle CV joints. Planning to replace the radiator upper and lower hoses as well. Sorry, it is IACV, just started learning DIY jobs on my cars and learning those acronyms. Car runs smooth and great and no complains so far. Honda dealership recently replaced the brake pads. Will try to clean and lube the caliper slide pins as well while replacing the brake pads sometime this year. I have also replaced cabin, engine air filter and EGR valve recently.